From: surendra yadav on
i was running the profilier to fine tune and view the events and found that each 7/8 row is call the procude exec dbname..sp_table_rowset;2 null , N'table'. i am not clear why this many times a sp is being called off. one more table with single row and three columns is called if every 4/5 row. i need to talk to the programmer however i will talk after your reply.
thanks in advance
yadav

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/113_2004_4_0_0_426194/Problem-with-sp-tables-rowset2-Domain-Users-vs-Domain-Groups.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/
From: Michael Coles on
"surendra yadav" <yadav.surendra(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>i was running the profilier to fine tune and view the events and found that
>each 7/8 row is call the procude exec dbname..sp_table_rowset;2 null ,
>N'table'. i am not clear why this many times a sp is being called off. one
>more table with single row and three columns is called if every 4/5 row. i
>need to talk to the programmer however i will talk after your reply.
> thanks in advance
> yadav
>
> From
> http://www.developmentnow.com/g/113_2004_4_0_0_426194/Problem-with-sp-tables-rowset2-Domain-Users-vs-Domain-Groups.htm

Are you getting calls to sp_tableS_rowset;2 [notice the extra "S" in there]
instead of sp_table_rowset;2?

If so it's just returning a list of tables in the specified database.
There's two possibilities: (1) your connectivity API may be calling this
procedure to get metadata about the database--this is what this system
stored procedure is actually for; or (2) your code is calling the procedure
directly for some reason--afaik this proc is undocumented and it's not a
good idea to rely on undocumented features in your own code [if your
connectivity driver itself is calling it, that's fine]. I know you said you
found some code for this SP online, but try this anyway to make sure you
know exactly what the proc looks like:

sp_helptext 'sp_tables_rowset'

Not sure why it's being called so much without seeing your code. Is this
code that your programmer developed, or a program that you purchased? Can
you post some of the problem code?

--
Thanks

Michael Coles
SQL Server MVP
Author, "Expert SQL Server 2008 Encryption"
(http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430224649)