From: Greg Chambers on
I wasn't quite sure if I should of posted this in the Ruby forum or the
Ruby on Rails forum but here it goes.

So I've been trying to install rails onto a Debian (Lenny) machine of
mine. I assumed from the readings I have done that RubyGems is supposed
to take care of dependencies for me, but apparently on my machine it
doesn't. It tries to install rails and then complains that I need a
version of Rack 1.0.0 or newer. Now RubyGems will let me install
packages that don't have the tree of dependencies like rails and so Rack
and Rake install just fine. But when I go back to installing Rails, it
still complains that I do not have rack installed or it is not a new
enough of a version. A friend of mine mentioned something about a file
the RubyGems uses to handle dependencies that can get messed up if
something goes wrong during an installation but I don't know anything
about that. Can anyone help?

From: Greg Chambers on
Just some additional information I found after searching the gem
directory. So if I try 'gem install rails' the first time, it stops at
the normal rack dependency error. When I check the gems installed, it
installed activerecord, activesupport, rack, and rake. When I try 'gem
install rails' again, I get the same error message, but this time I see
that actionpack is also installed. However, repeating 'gem install
rails' past this will not install any additional gems. The exact error
message is:

ERROR: Error installing rails:
actionpack requires rack (~> 1.0.0, runtime)

Again, not sure if this is a Rails specific issue I should just move the
to Ruby on Rails forum/mailing list but since this seems to be an error
with RubyGems and not Rails, I thought it would be appropriate to post
here. Again, any help would be very much appreciated.

From: Luis Lavena on
On Feb 5, 9:38 am, Greg Chambers <gregory.w.chamb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Just some additional information I found after searching the gem
> directory.  So if I try 'gem install rails' the first time, it stops at
> the normal rack dependency error.  When I check the gems installed, it
> installed activerecord, activesupport, rack, and rake.  When I try 'gem
> install rails' again, I get the same error message, but this time I see
> that actionpack is also installed.  However, repeating 'gem install
> rails' past this will not install any additional gems.  The exact error
> message is:
>
> ERROR:  Error installing rails:
>         actionpack requires rack (~> 1.0.0, runtime)

This issue was discovered and discussed here:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2010-January/005141.html

The issue is that there are components that define runtime and
development time dependencies. RubyGems up to version 1.3.5 was not
capable of resolve that recursive issue.

> Again, not sure if this is a Rails specific issue I should just move the
> to Ruby on Rails forum/mailing list but since this seems to be an error
> with RubyGems and not Rails, I thought it would be appropriate to post
> here.  Again, any help would be very much appreciated.

In the mean time, you can manually install rack and then proceed with
the normal gem installation.

The fix will be part of next RubyGems release.

--
Luis Lavena
From: Ralf Mueller on
Greg Chambers wrote:
> I wasn't quite sure if I should of posted this in the Ruby forum or the
> Ruby on Rails forum but here it goes.
>
> So I've been trying to install rails onto a Debian (Lenny) machine of
> mine. I assumed from the readings I have done that RubyGems is supposed
> to take care of dependencies for me, but apparently on my machine it
> doesn't. It tries to install rails and then complains that I need a
> version of Rack 1.0.0 or newer. Now RubyGems will let me install
> packages that don't have the tree of dependencies like rails and so Rack
> and Rake install just fine. But when I go back to installing Rails, it
> still complains that I do not have rack installed or it is not a new
> enough of a version. A friend of mine mentioned something about a file
> the RubyGems uses to handle dependencies that can get messed up if
> something goes wrong during an installation but I don't know anything
> about that. Can anyone help?

Do you use debian's rubygems package?

From: Greg Chambers on
Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Feb 5, 9:38�am, Greg Chambers <gregory.w.chamb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> � � � � actionpack requires rack (~> 1.0.0, runtime)
>>

> This issue was discovered and discussed here:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2010-January/005141.html
>
> The issue is that there are components that define runtime and
> development time dependencies. RubyGems up to version 1.3.5 was not
> capable of resolve that recursive issue.
>
>> Again, not sure if this is a Rails specific issue I should just move the
>> to Ruby on Rails forum/mailing list but since this seems to be an error
>> with RubyGems and not Rails, I thought it would be appropriate to post
>> here. �Again, any help would be very much appreciated.
>
> In the mean time, you can manually install rack and then proceed with
> the normal gem installation.
>
> The fix will be part of next RubyGems release.

Well my problem is mostly that when I do install Rack, it still can't
see it in the dependencies and so cannot proceed to install Rails.

Ralf Mueller wrote:
> Greg Chambers wrote:
>> still complains that I do not have rack installed or it is not a new
>> enough of a version. A friend of mine mentioned something about a file
>> the RubyGems uses to handle dependencies that can get messed up if
>> something goes wrong during an installation but I don't know anything
>> about that. Can anyone help?
>>
> Do you use debian's rubygems package?

Yes I did use debian's rubygems package, specifically whichever one is
hosted on the Rochester Institute of Technology mirror.