From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
> [...]
>>> Using a span with a `tabIndex ` will [...]
>>
>> ... be not Valid:
>>
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-SPAN>
>
> For HTML 4, there is no tabIndex on the SPAN.
>
> However, keep in mind that this is about "dynamic link creation"; the
> use of a `tabIndex` property I suggested is not an HTML attribute.

Objects implementing the HTMLElement interface which represent the
SPAN/span element, are not supposed to have a `tabIndex' property either,
of course. That property is only supposed to be available on objects
implementing one of the HTMLSelectElement, HTMLInputElement,
HTMLTextAreaElement, HTMLButtonElement, HTMLAnchorElement,
HTMLObjectElement or HTMLAreaElement interfaces.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-58190037>

It is true that the property is available on objects representing SPAN/span
elements in two implementations. But the result is proprietary, not
interoperable behavior, nothing that should be relied upon on the Web.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
From: Garrett Smith on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> [...]
>>> ... be not Valid:
>>>
>>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-SPAN>
>> For HTML 4, there is no tabIndex on the SPAN.
>>
>> However, keep in mind that this is about "dynamic link creation"; the
>> use of a `tabIndex` property I suggested is not an HTML attribute.
>
> Objects implementing the HTMLElement interface which represent the
> SPAN/span element, are not supposed to have a `tabIndex' property either,
> of course. That property is only supposed to be available on objects
> implementing one of the HTMLSelectElement, HTMLInputElemFent,
> HTMLTextAreaElement, HTMLButtonElement, HTMLAnchorElement,
> HTMLObjectElement or HTMLAreaElement interfaces.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-58190037>

While it is true to say that such objects are not required to have a
`tabIndex` property, it is not correct to say that such objects should
not have a `tabIndex` property. IOW, it is not forbidden. Browsers can
and will add properties to various objects.

IE has a currentStyle property, Opera adds to that a `posTop` property,
and so on. The list of things that exist that are non standard is endless.

Generally, non-standard features should be avoided when there are
standard features available.

In this case, the feature is widely implemented, is part of a working
draft (HTML5). The closest standard alternative is to use an `a`
element, but that has drawbacks. For example, it affects the status bar,
and to prevent the link action, the event must be canceled in some way.

> It is true that the property is available on objects representing SPAN/span
> elements in two implementations. But the result is proprietary, not
> interoperable behavior, nothing that should be relied upon on the Web.

Either you're not counting right or you didn't test in enough
implementations. Kangax already mentioned which browser versions have
`tabIndex` on arbitrary elements.

I do not completely agree with your conclusion that it should not be
relied upon on the web.

The `tabIndex` property can cause elements in more recent browsers to
become focusable. It is not as reliable as using `a`, but it is better
than nothing at all because it is easy to use, it can help a11y, where
supported, and where not supported, is unlikely to have any effect at all.
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:

[...]
> Either you're not counting right or you didn't test in enough
> implementations. Kangax already mentioned which browser versions have
> `tabIndex` on arbitrary elements.

Correction: The set browsers that support tabIndex on this thread has
been published includes:

Safari up to as late as 3.2.1
Not Opera < 9.5 (It works in Opera 9.5+, in context)
IE4+
FF 1.5
--
Garrett
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> For HTML 4, there is no tabIndex on the SPAN.
>>>
>>> However, keep in mind that this is about "dynamic link creation"; the
>>> use of a `tabIndex` property I suggested is not an HTML attribute.
>>
>> Objects implementing the HTMLElement interface which represent the
>> SPAN/span element, are not supposed to have a `tabIndex' property
>> either, of course. That property is only supposed to be available on
>> objects implementing one of the HTMLSelectElement, HTMLInputElemFent,
>> HTMLTextAreaElement, HTMLButtonElement, HTMLAnchorElement,
>> HTMLObjectElement or HTMLAreaElement interfaces.
>>
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-58190037>
>
> While it is true to say that such objects are not required to have a
> `tabIndex` property, it is not correct to say that such objects should
> not have a `tabIndex` property.

I did not say that.

> IOW, it is not forbidden.

I did not say that either. You want to learn to read.

> Browsers can and will add properties to various objects.

Regardless, that is *by definition* not interoperable.

> IE has a currentStyle property,

And runtimeStyle. An exception needs to be made here as long as there is
no implementation of the standards-compliant getComputedStyle(). So this
property does not matter here.

> Opera adds to that a `posTop` property, and so on. The list of things
> that exist that are non standard is endless.

Many of which are not alternatives to standards-compliant approaches, which
are therefore not interoperable, and should be avoided on the Web.

> Generally, non-standard features should be avoided when there are
> standard features available.

Hear, hear!

> In this case, the feature is widely implemented,

Nonsense.

> is part of a working draft (HTML5).

Which has no relevance at all, and it _not_ to be cited as reference,
*because* of its Working Draft status. Told you.

> The closest standard alternative is to use an `a` element, but that has
> drawbacks. For example, it affects the status bar, and to prevent the
> link action, the event must be canceled in some way.

Your logic is flawed. It makes absolutely no sense for a SPAN/span element
to receive the focus.

>> It is true that the property is available on objects representing
>> SPAN/span elements in two implementations. But the result is
>> proprietary, not interoperable behavior, nothing that should be relied
>> upon on the Web.
>
> Either you're not counting right [...]

I am counting the occurrences in your posting, stupid.

> I do not completely agree with your conclusion that it should not be
> relied upon on the web.

Then you are a fool who deserves what he gets.

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: preet on
how do you dynamically check if the other site is linking to you or not
without using google search ?

kindly provide a solution