From: Emma on
I have merged a fair few cells so that I can enter paragraphs, once I type
past a certain point it wont bring up everything I have entered in the cell,
it cuts half of it off & it wont print it either, but when i click on the
cell all the information is there......can anyone help me out with this???
From: Paul on

Excel has limitations (see link below). Cells will show up to 1024
characters, but up to 32,767 will appear in the formula bar. Printing..
maybe it has a 1024 character limit too. (Just because you're using
merged cells doesn't mean you get more characters - they're treated as
one cell once merged.) If you divide the frustration caused by merged
cells by their actual usefulness, you'd pretty much get a #DIV/0!
error.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992911033.aspx

;
6
9
2
1
6
5

:

--
Paul

- Paul
Paul's Profile: 1697
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=193498

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

From: Gord Dibben on
Since limits on a lot of features are version-dependent it is always best if
you state which version of Excel you are using.

In Excel 2003 and earlier you can place 32767 characters in a cell.

However, only 1024 of these will be visible in the cell or can be printed.

Merging cells only gives you one large cell with the same limits as a
regular cell.

Add an Alt + Enter every 100 or so characters to increase this limit in
2003.

2007 version gives you same 32767 chars but more visible
characters........around 8000, I believe.

For large amounts of text you should be using a TextBox or Word.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP