From: John Whitworth on
Hi,

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 x64, from Windows Vista x86, and
blindly (and stupidly) envisaged a smooth and transparent move whilst
developing my 32-bit VB2008 application, which makes use of a PC/SC
smart card reader, and the WinScard.dll.

After much head scratching, I have now come to the conclusion that it
is something to do with Windows 7 (rather than x86 to x64), even
though the driver apparently supports it. The reason I believe that is
because if I download the Vista-compatible diagnostic app for the
smart card reader, and run it normally, it doesn't retrieve reader
details. But if I run it with Vista SP2 compatibility, it is able to
retrieve the reader details OK.

Is there a way that I can use Vista SP2 compatibility for my project
within VS2008, to test this theory?

Thanks

John
From: Family Tree Mike on
John Whitworth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded to Windows 7 x64, from Windows Vista x86, and
> blindly (and stupidly) envisaged a smooth and transparent move whilst
> developing my 32-bit VB2008 application, which makes use of a PC/SC
> smart card reader, and the WinScard.dll.
>
> After much head scratching, I have now come to the conclusion that it
> is something to do with Windows 7 (rather than x86 to x64), even
> though the driver apparently supports it. The reason I believe that is
> because if I download the Vista-compatible diagnostic app for the
> smart card reader, and run it normally, it doesn't retrieve reader
> details. But if I run it with Vista SP2 compatibility, it is able to
> retrieve the reader details OK.
>
> Is there a way that I can use Vista SP2 compatibility for my project
> within VS2008, to test this theory?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Have you tried building your application for x86 rather than "any CPU",
which is the default? Perhaps the diagnostic app you ran is built for x86.

--
Mike
From: John Whitworth on

"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike(a)ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message

> Have you tried building your application for x86 rather than "any CPU",
> which is the default? Perhaps the diagnostic app you ran is built for
> x86.

No - it's a 64-bit diagnostic...

From: Jesse Houwing on
* John Whitworth wrote, On 16-9-2009 21:06:

> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike(a)ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Have you tried building your application for x86 rather than "any
>> CPU", which is the default? Perhaps the diagnostic app you ran is
>> built for x86.
>
> No - it's a 64-bit diagnostic...

Then try setting the build to x64 explicitly.

--
Jesse Houwing
jesse.houwing at sogeti.nl