From: Alfred Bovin on
Hi all.

I hope this isn't completely off topic.

For a larger project I need to draw some state space/signal flow diagrams.
I'm not sure of the correct word but they are kind of like the diagrams you
draw in Simulink.

I'm looking for a piece of software which can do that for me. Simulink is a
little too specific for my needs, Microsoft Vision doesn't have summation
circle symbols and that kind of stuff and I'm tired of using Microsoft Paint
for which my results aren't consistent and difficult to edit.

Do you know of a program which is capable of helping me with this job?

Best,
Alfred

From: Rich Webb on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:45:34 +0100, "Alfred Bovin" <alfred(a)bovin.invalid>
wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I hope this isn't completely off topic.
>
>For a larger project I need to draw some state space/signal flow diagrams.
>I'm not sure of the correct word but they are kind of like the diagrams you
>draw in Simulink.
>
>I'm looking for a piece of software which can do that for me. Simulink is a
>little too specific for my needs, Microsoft Vision doesn't have summation
>circle symbols and that kind of stuff and I'm tired of using Microsoft Paint
>for which my results aren't consistent and difficult to edit.
>
>Do you know of a program which is capable of helping me with this job?

Take a look at Dia http://live.gnome.org/Dia. It's free (always nice)
and has several symbol palettes that might be of use.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: rickman on
On Mar 3, 5:45 pm, "Alfred Bovin" <alf...(a)bovin.invalid> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I hope this isn't completely off topic.
>
> For a larger project I need to draw some state space/signal flow diagrams..
> I'm not sure of the correct word but they are kind of like the diagrams you
> draw in Simulink.
>
> I'm looking for a piece of software which can do that for me. Simulink is a
> little too specific for my needs, Microsoft Vision doesn't have summation
> circle symbols and that kind of stuff and I'm tired of using Microsoft Paint
> for which my results aren't consistent and difficult to edit.
>
> Do you know of a program which is capable of helping me with this job?
>
> Best,
> Alfred

I'm not familiar with Simulink or Vision, but I used to use MS Visio
for pretty much all diagrams and I currently use Open Office draw. I
think I like Visio a bit better, but that may be because I have used
it for years. I have even done mechanical diagrams with it. It is
pretty versatile. I guess you can tell Visio wasn't written by MS,
they bought the company.

Rick
From: Michael Plante on
rickman wrote:
>On Mar 3, 5:45=A0pm, "Alfred Bovin" <alf...(a)bovin.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I hope this isn't completely off topic.
>>
>> For a larger project I need to draw some state space/signal flow
diagrams=
>.
>> I'm not sure of the correct word but they are kind of like the diagrams
y=
>ou
>> draw in Simulink.
>>
>> I'm looking for a piece of software which can do that for me. Simulink
is=
>> little too specific for my needs, Microsoft Vision doesn't have
summation
>> circle symbols and that kind of stuff and I'm tired of using Microsoft
Pa=
>int
>> for which my results aren't consistent and difficult to edit.
>>
>> Do you know of a program which is capable of helping me with this job?
>>
>> Best,
>> Alfred
>
>I'm not familiar with Simulink or Vision, but I used to use MS Visio
>for pretty much all diagrams and I currently use Open Office draw. I
>think I like Visio a bit better, but that may be because I have used
>it for years. I have even done mechanical diagrams with it. It is
>pretty versatile. I guess you can tell Visio wasn't written by MS,
>they bought the company.

And, to answer the specific concern the OP raised, I've created symbol
libraries in there before, including "circle-plus" summation blocks, etc.
It's very easy, and you can make places to attach the connectors; read the
help. Unless you really did mean "Vision", which I've never heard of.

From: Tim Wescott on
rickman wrote:
> On Mar 3, 5:45 pm, "Alfred Bovin" <alf...(a)bovin.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I hope this isn't completely off topic.
>>
>> For a larger project I need to draw some state space/signal flow diagrams.
>> I'm not sure of the correct word but they are kind of like the diagrams you
>> draw in Simulink.
>>
>> I'm looking for a piece of software which can do that for me. Simulink is a
>> little too specific for my needs, Microsoft Vision doesn't have summation
>> circle symbols and that kind of stuff and I'm tired of using Microsoft Paint
>> for which my results aren't consistent and difficult to edit.
>>
>> Do you know of a program which is capable of helping me with this job?
>>
>> Best,
>> Alfred
>
> I'm not familiar with Simulink or Vision, but I used to use MS Visio
> for pretty much all diagrams and I currently use Open Office draw. I
> think I like Visio a bit better, but that may be because I have used
> it for years. I have even done mechanical diagrams with it. It is
> pretty versatile. I guess you can tell Visio wasn't written by MS,
> they bought the company.
>
> Rick

Visio _is_ better, even after Microsoft has had their way with it. But
Openoffice Draw is plenty good enough -- the illustrations in my book on
control systems were done in Draw, and they came out fine.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com