From: Emmanuel Gomez on
Richard Conroy wrote:
> Is this issue growing in significance?

I can't speak to this as a trend at all.

> I have heard of cases of gemname 'squatting' going on.

That is an interesting and related but separate issue. My query is
specifically about gemname 'sniping' rather than squatting. That said,
if either is a problem, there may be a common solution to both.

> Is there even some kind of community ad-hoc guide for naming gems?

I am interested in the answer to this question, as well.

> While 'first to publish claims the name' sounds harsh,
> in practice I don't see any other reliable way for enforcement.

Outside of bureaucratic and/or technical measures, the only thing that
occurs to me is *shame*.

From: Intransition on

On Aug 5, 7:27 pm, James Britt <james.br...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> As it stands, though, it's a social/cultural issue.

It a wider issue than we might realize too. Today I was looking for a
name for a project, and I considered 'figleaf'. There was no gem by
the name, but I discovered that their was a Python project by the
name, and it just so happened that the Python script had an executable
named 'figleaf', and it dawned on me that my project too would have an
executable named 'figleaf', if I choose that name. In which case,
there could be a conflict in a system 'sbin/ directory. A multi-
lingual developer who used both Python and Ruby might run into such a
problem.

I am not sure there is any good solution to this. OS's would need to
build namespacing directly into the PATH lookup system. It's far too
annoying to be naming all one's executables 'figleaf-ruby' or
'transfire-figleaf' or what have you.

From: Intransition on

On Aug 5, 6:50 pm, Emmanuel Gomez <emmanuel.go...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Hickman wrote:
> > What was the name of your gem?
>
> My project is called Clockwork.http://github.com/emmanuel/clockwork

Oh, yes. I had a premonition about this today. Rename the project
'orange'. That would be awesome.

From: Emmanuel Gomez on
Thomas Sawyer wrote:
> Oh, yes. I had a premonition about this today. Rename the project
> 'orange'. That would be awesome.

I think I'll do just that. Although 'orange' may be too general, I think
'clockwork_orange' is perfect. Thank you for an elegant and, dare I say,
'Ruby-esque' solution, trans. I mean that in the spirit of the wonderful
Ruby community, not necessarily the language itself.

Also, thank you for your insightful reminder about potential name
conflicts with projects in other languages. Seemingly simple things
quickly become complex.

From: Rick DeNatale on
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Emmanuel Gomez <emmanuel.gomez(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I'll do just that. Although 'orange' may be too general, I think
> 'clockwork_orange' is perfect.

or Droog!

--
Rick DeNatale