From: "Peter L. Berghold" on
Hi folks,

In pseudo code here's how I want my outside mail exchange system to
behave:

if mail_sent_by_outside_host_to_inside_user
then
relay_to_inside_user
elsif
mail_sent_by_inside_host_to_inside_user
then
relay_to_inside_user
elsif
mail_sent_by_inside_host_to_outside_destination
then
relay_to_outside_destination
elsif mail_being_sent_by_roaming_laptop <-- need this!!!
relay_where_it_needs_to_go
else
reject

The part that seems broken (and that is probably a good thing) right now
is the roaming laptop part. Since I travel a lot with my laptop both
for business and personal purposes and would like my laptop to relay
mail through my server when "outside the cloud" so to speak, what is the
best approach to this without breaking the MX functionality for my
domain?

I've read "The Book" on this subject about SASL authentication and my
fear is if I implement that I'll not be able to receive un-authenticated
hosts (such as the fine server that serves this list) and that would be
a bad thing.

Can somebody point me in the right direction and hopefully not screw
this up?

--
Peter L. Berghold, Australian Cattle Dog Owner, Agility Fan, Foodie,
Salty Old Dog and Old School Unix Hacker.

From: Wietse Venema on
Peter L. Berghold:
> Hi folks,
>
> In pseudo code here's how I want my outside mail exchange system to
> behave:

On the Postfix server:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_mynetworks
permit_sasl_authenticated <- for the roaming laptop
reject_unauth_destination

Then configure the Postfix server for SASL (to authenticate the
roaming laptop) and perhaps TLS encryption (to protect the login
sequence).

http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_sasl
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#server_tls

Wietse