From: Peter Fairbrother on
There are two kinds of publicness in crypto - the "public key" kind, and
the "known to the public" kind.

There are lots of kinds of privacy.

Anyway, the word "public" has been used so often in the "public key"
sense that using it for the "known to the public" sense won't do -

- so is there an other suitable adjective for "known to the public",
widely known, not-a-secret?

-- Peter Fairbrother
From: Kristian Gj�steen on
Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186(a)zen.co.uk> wrote:
>There are two kinds of publicness in crypto - the "public key" kind, and
>the "known to the public" kind.
>
>There are lots of kinds of privacy.
>
>Anyway, the word "public" has been used so often in the "public key"
>sense that using it for the "known to the public" sense won't do -
>

> - so is there an other suitable adjective for "known to the public",
>widely known, not-a-secret?

Yeah, common reference string...

--
Kristian Gj�steen
From: Mike Amling on
Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> There are two kinds of publicness in crypto - the "public key" kind, and
> the "known to the public" kind.
>
> There are lots of kinds of privacy.
>
> Anyway, the word "public" has been used so often in the "public key"
> sense that using it for the "known to the public" sense won't do -
>

> - so is there an other suitable adjective for "known to the public",
> widely known, not-a-secret?

Open?
Well known?
Standard?
Common?
Off-the-shelf?

Not synonyms but might apply, depending on the noun you have in mind:
Traditional
Legacy
Academic

--Mike Amling
From: Francois Grieu on
On 25/04/2010 07:17, Mike Amling wrote:
> Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>> There are two kinds of publicness in crypto - the "public key" kind,
>> and the "known to the public" kind.
>>
>> There are lots of kinds of privacy.
>>
>> Anyway, the word "public" has been used so often in the "public key"
>> sense that using it for the "known to the public" sense won't do -
>>

>> - so is there an other suitable adjective for "known to the public",
>> widely known, not-a-secret?
>
> Open?
> Well known?
> Standard?
> Common?
> Off-the-shelf?
>
> Not synonyms but might apply, depending on the noun you have in mind:
> Traditional
> Legacy
> Academic

In a different sense, there are published and publicized.

Full disclosure: to me English is a foreign language.

Francois Grieu
From: unruh on
On 2010-04-25, Francois Grieu <fgrieu(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/04/2010 07:17, Mike Amling wrote:
>> Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>>> There are two kinds of publicness in crypto - the "public key" kind,
>>> and the "known to the public" kind.
>>>
>>> There are lots of kinds of privacy.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the word "public" has been used so often in the "public key"
>>> sense that using it for the "known to the public" sense won't do -

Public. The particular phrase "pubic key" has an enhanced sense. But
the adjective public is still perfectly good to describe "known to the
public".

>>> - so is there an other suitable adjective for "known to the public",
>>> widely known, not-a-secret?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Bootstraps on Steroids