From: What's in a Name? on
Latest puppy beta Lupu-507
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55740
Boots directly to desktop using CD, USB or install to hard drive. Great to
recover files from windows(ntfs drivers). So far so good.
--
This message was created using Opera 10.6 on Puppy Linux 5
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
From: Art on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:26:35 +0800, "What's in a Name?"
<maxwachtel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Latest puppy beta Lupu-507
>http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55740
>Boots directly to desktop using CD, USB or install to hard drive. Great to
>recover files from windows(ntfs drivers). So far so good.

I've been having much fun with Puppy ever since you posted this. As a
Linux knoob, it took me awhile to get things organized and working.
For the first time, I tried Wine and got a kick out of running my
Windows Free Cell game from Puppy. In fact, I'm posting this from
my Windows Free Agent newsreader while in Puppy.

I wound up with a stange situation (don't ask) where Puppy is
installed on the 4th partition of my hard drive, and I must boot using
the Puppy CD as a crutch. I've tried without any success to find a
way to make a boot-up floppy. Do you know how this can be
done with Puppy? Better yet would be a true mult-boot where I
could simply select which system partition I want. But I'd be
satisfied to just use a boot floppy when I want to run Puppy.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have mkbootdisk facility and
the even slicker method (forgot what it's called) doesn't seem to be
available yet.

BTW, I'm running Puppy on a old Dell Precision 330 having a
1.7 ghz cpu and 384 meg RAM. Puppy seems suited to this
older environment.

Art
From: Mike Easter on
Art wrote:

>> Latest puppy beta Lupu-507

> I wound up with a stange situation (don't ask) where Puppy is
> installed on the 4th partition of my hard drive, and I must boot using
> the Puppy CD as a crutch.

I'm not clear on what you are saying. You installed puppy but your boot
management is 'screwed up' and consequently you can't boot (I guess at
all) with the hdd's boot management, so instead you boot the CD which I
guess results in the CD's puppy loading/booting or else you mean
something else.

The crutch concept is not helpful to me in understanding you, because it
implies that you are booting from the hdd install only when/if you have
the puppy CD in the boot position. That sounds as if you were using
puppy cd for a boot manager, but it doesn't have that function. The
normal puppy cd's boot options don't include being able to choose some
hdd installation somewhere.

> I've tried without any success to find a
> way to make a boot-up floppy. Do you know how this can be
> done with Puppy? Better yet would be a true mult-boot where I
> could simply select which system partition I want.

I recently discovered some very useful Plop tools.

http://www.plop.at/

There is a boot manager which can enable booting from usb for machines
which can't boot from USB and there is also a plop linux

> But I'd be
> satisfied to just use a boot floppy when I want to run Puppy.

The plop boot manager can do that. Also GAG.

> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have mkbootdisk facility and
> the even slicker method (forgot what it's called) doesn't seem to be
> available yet.
>
> BTW, I'm running Puppy on a old Dell Precision 330 having a
> 1.7 ghz cpu and 384 meg RAM. Puppy seems suited to this
> older environment.

Puppy loves having that much resources :-)

--
Mike Easter
From: Art on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:23:34 -0700, Mike Easter <MikeE(a)ster.invalid>
wrote:

>Art wrote:
>
>>> Latest puppy beta Lupu-507
>
>> I wound up with a stange situation (don't ask) where Puppy is
>> installed on the 4th partition of my hard drive, and I must boot using
>> the Puppy CD as a crutch.

>The crutch concept is not helpful to me in understanding you, because it
>implies that you are booting from the hdd install only when/if you have
>the puppy CD in the boot position. That sounds as if you were using
>puppy cd for a boot manager, but it doesn't have that function. The
>normal puppy cd's boot options don't include being able to choose some
>hdd installation somewhere.

I boot using the Puppy installation CD. It searches hard drive
partitions for Puppy files. It finds them where I had installed
Puppy ... on the 4th h.d. partition. I can tell that it's actually
using the hd installation because there is no long time "writing
files to RAM" like you see when running purely from the CD
(for one thing).

> > I've tried without any success to find a
>> way to make a boot-up floppy. Do you know how this can be
>> done with Puppy? Better yet would be a true mult-boot where I
>> could simply select which system partition I want.
>
>I recently discovered some very useful Plop tools.
>
>http://www.plop.at/
>
>There is a boot manager which can enable booting from usb for machines
>which can't boot from USB and there is also a plop linux

Hey, that site has some interesting looking freeware. Thanks!

Art

From: Mike Easter on
Art wrote:
> Mike Easter

> I boot using the Puppy installation CD. It searches hard drive
> partitions for Puppy files. It finds them where I had installed
> Puppy ... on the 4th h.d. partition.

Normally, even when puppy isn't installed to a hdd, it wants to store
configuration information on a hdd so that it can access that
information again.

> I can tell that it's actually
> using the hd installation because there is no long time "writing
> files to RAM" like you see when running purely from the CD
> (for one thing).

Yes. When you run puppy for the first time it does that.

Here is a page telling you how to not install puppy to hdd:

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=How%20NOT%20to%20install%20Puppy.htm
How NOT to install Puppy - Puppy is easy to use and does not require a
hard disk, so the first trick that you must know is how NOT to install
it to hard disk ! - Just boot using the CD/DVD and save to USB flash
(you will be asked at shutdown to save or not). If you choose "Save",
Puppy will create your save file and use this next time you boot so that
you can continue with your previous work. The save file will be named
pup_save.2fs

That same .2fs file he's talking about can be saved to your hdd on any
partition and puppy will be able to find it when you boot the CD and the
boot will go very quickly, but puppy isn't actually 'installed' to your hdd.

If you really want to install it to hdd, Murga has a page on that called
'frugal install'.

"Still, you may be saying, "But am too old-fashioned - I only know that
an OS has to be booted from hard disk!" - Well, if you really have to
make an install to hard disk, use a two-minute install called frugal
install.
http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Frugal%20Install%20to%20Hard%20Disk.txt
or http://snipr.com/105qdt Frugal Install to Hard Disk

>> http://www.plop.at/
>>
>> There is a boot manager which can enable booting from usb for machines
>> which can't boot from USB and there is also a plop linux
>
> Hey, that site has some interesting looking freeware. Thanks!

I wanted to boot puppy from USB on a machine which doesn't have the
ability to boot from a USB, so I used the Plop boot manager on a CD to
enable me to boot any linux which has been installed to the USB.

Until then, that machine was making me crazy about puppy - because the
machine *thinks* it can boot from usb if the usb is configured to be
like a zip or a floppy but not if the usb if configured to be like a
hdd, which is the normal boot USB configuration.

Puppy recognizes this 'dumb' kind of USB boot type of BIOS and has a
number of tools to help you deal with the problem - but none of them
worked. Well, they worked but it wouldn't boot that way.

So finally I gave up and decided to treat the machine as if it couldn't
boot from USB - and now I can get it to boot a distro installed on the
USB. :-)

--
Mike Easter