From: Van Chocstraw on
How do you create an account in Puppy 4.3.10. Why don't it have a home
directory? Root all the time?
From: Lew Pitcher on
On November 17, 2009 20:16, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Van Chocstraw
(boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com) wrote:

> How do you create an account in Puppy 4.3.10. Why don't it have a home
> directory? Root all the time?

All good questions. You /could/ ask the people who build and maintain Puppy
Linux, at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/

We, OTOH, don't know much about Puppy Linux. You see, we don't use it. We
use Slackware. Hence the name of the group: alt.os.linux.SLACKWARE

I'm sure that the Puppy Linux forums can help you.

Luck be with you
--
Lew Pitcher

From: Van Chocstraw on
Lew Pitcher wrote:
> On November 17, 2009 20:16, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Van Chocstraw
> (boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com) wrote:
>
>> How do you create an account in Puppy 4.3.10. Why don't it have a home
>> directory? Root all the time?
>
> All good questions. You /could/ ask the people who build and maintain Puppy
> Linux, at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/
>
> We, OTOH, don't know much about Puppy Linux. You see, we don't use it. We
> use Slackware. Hence the name of the group: alt.os.linux.SLACKWARE
>

> I'm sure that the Puppy Linux forums can help you.
>
> Luck be with you

Puppy is made from Slackware.
From: Lew Pitcher on
On November 17, 2009 20:44, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Van Chocstraw
(boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com) wrote:

> Lew Pitcher wrote:
>> On November 17, 2009 20:16, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Van Chocstraw
>> (boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com) wrote:
>>
>>> How do you create an account in Puppy 4.3.10. Why don't it have a home
>>> directory? Root all the time?
>>
>> All good questions. You /could/ ask the people who build and maintain
>> Puppy Linux, at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/
>>
>> We, OTOH, don't know much about Puppy Linux. You see, we don't use it. We
>> use Slackware. Hence the name of the group: alt.os.linux.SLACKWARE
>>

>> I'm sure that the Puppy Linux forums can help you.
>>
>> Luck be with you
>
> Puppy is made from Slackware.

Not according to the guys that make Puppy.

"Puppy Linux is a Live CD Linux distribution that is very small and focuses
on ease of use. If the computer has at least 64 MB of RAM (depending on the
version, up to at least 256 MB of RAM[citation needed]), the entire
operating system and all the applications will run from RAM, allowing the
boot medium to be removed after the operating system starts. Applications
such as SeaMonkey, AbiWord, Gnumeric, and Gxine/xine are included. The
distribution is actively developed by Barry Kauler and other active members
of the community. Puppy is considered its own distribution, meaning that it
is not based on any other Linux distribution, such as Debian or Slackware."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

"According to Puppy's main developer, Barry Kauler, one of the main goals
for Puppy 3.00 was to be able to install Slackware packages by having all
the necessary libraries from Slackware 12, such as Glibc 2.5, GCC 4.1.2,
and GTK 2.10.13, in Puppy. But Kauler clarifies that borrowing libraries
from Slackware doesn't make Puppy a Slackware clone. Puppy remains a unique
distro with its own custom boot, configuration, and shutdown scripts, which
have been totally rewritten for 3.00."
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/119848

Lets review:
"The distribution is actively developed by Barry Kauler and other active
members of the community."

"Puppy is considered its own distribution, meaning that it is not based on
any other Linux distribution, such as Debian or Slackware."

"But Kauler clarifies that borrowing libraries from Slackware doesn't make
Puppy a Slackware clone."

"Puppy remains a unique distro with its own custom boot, configuration,
and shutdown scripts, which have been totally rewritten for 3.00."

Nope. Not Slackware. Not even derived from Slackware. Sorry.
--
Lew Pitcher

From: john on
On Nov 17, 8:16 pm, Van Chocstraw <boobooililili...(a)roadrunner.com>
wrote:
> How do you create an account in Puppy 4.3.10. Why don't it have a home
> directory?  Root all the time?

Can you get to a login prompt? Then sign on as root. Use the adduser
command to create the new user.

If you don't know the root password then get to a command prompt and
type:
sudo passwd root
and change the password to something you prefer. Then sign on as root
and use adduser.
The above works on all those Debian type Linuxes out there. Give it a
try.

John C.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2