From: tsquared1518 on
I just put a database I created on our server. The other 2 people who will be
using it arent able to open it up though. Can someone please point me in the
right direction of how to fix this so they can use it?

Thanks for your help!!!
From: Jerry Whittle on
1. All users of the database must have at least read, write, create, delete
(or modify) privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the
database .mdb file, but the entire folder.

2. Open the database and go to Tools, Options, and Advanced Tab. Set the
Default Open mode to Shared and the Default Record Locking to Edited Record.
(While you are in the Options area, go over to the General tab and turn off
Compact on Close and Name AutoCorrect. Trust me on this.)

3. You can also get this error if someone has a form, report, etc., opened
in design view. Early versions of Access would allow someone to make design
changes while others are using the database; however, newer versions limit
this ability. It's another good reason to split the database so that you can
do development on a copy of the Front End and put it into production easily.
Sure beats working midnight shift when the users aren't around!

4. It's possible that someone has manually opened the database exclusively.
In that case go to the folder holding the .mdb file and open up the same
named .ldb file in Notepad. You might be able to read which users are in the
database and locked it. Apply 2”x4” as necessary to user. However that should
give a "file already in use" error. To stop this from happening create a
shortcut for each user on their desktop or off the Start button. It should
list the target as the database file and look something like:
"P:\Databases\Database File.mdb"
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP