From: YKhan on
I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting a
couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

Yousuf Khan
From: Robert Redelmeier on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips YKhan <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote in part:
> I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting
> a couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?

Even presuming sufficient VA (=W/PF), few UPSes produce
nice sine waves on their outputs while most expect them on
their inputs. There may be problems [overheating] with the
second UPS. UPS should be able to handle poor powerfactor
draws since most computing devices are miserable.

It would be vastly preferable to put them in parallel
where you can split loads, like one for the CPU,
one for monitor & wallwarts.

-- Robert

From: YKhan on
On Jun 1, 5:46 pm, Robert Redelmeier <red...(a)ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips YKhan <yjk...(a)gmail.com> wrote in part:
>
> > I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting
> > a couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?
>
> Even presuming sufficient VA (=W/PF), few UPSes produce
> nice sine waves on their outputs while most expect them on
> their inputs.  There may be problems [overheating] with the
> second UPS.  UPS should be able to handle poor powerfactor
> draws since most computing devices are miserable.
>
> It would be vastly preferable to put them in parallel
> where you can split loads, like one for the CPU,
> one for monitor & wallwarts.
>
> -- Robert

That's what I was afraid of. I remember hearing something about that
sometime back, but I couldn't remember if I heard it right or what the
reason was, so I asked here.

Yousuf Khan
From: Strobe on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 07:50:50 -0700 (PDT), YKhan <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 5:46�pm, Robert Redelmeier <red...(a)ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
>> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips YKhan <yjk...(a)gmail.com> wrote in part:
>>
>> > I'm wondering if there are any dangers or precautions to putting
>> > a couple of UPS's in series to increase their power-on time?
>>
>> Even presuming sufficient VA (=W/PF), few UPSes produce
>> nice sine waves on their outputs while most expect them on
>> their inputs. �There may be problems [overheating] with the
>> second UPS. �UPS should be able to handle poor powerfactor
>> draws since most computing devices are miserable.
>>
>> It would be vastly preferable to put them in parallel
>> where you can split loads, like one for the CPU,
>> one for monitor & wallwarts.

If you do this, don't forget to put a small lamp on one of them.
Bad enough coping with a power outage without having to do it in the dark.

>That's what I was afraid of. I remember hearing something about that
>sometime back, but I couldn't remember if I heard it right or what the
>reason was, so I asked here.

Have you looked into replacing the UPS battery with a larger capacity one?
This is the preferred (and more elegant) way to get longer power-up time.

--

Terry V.
From: Rick Jones on
In comp.sys.intel Strobe <Strobe(a)nyc.beep!beep!.com> wrote:
> If you do this, don't forget to put a small lamp on one of them.
> Bad enough coping with a power outage without having to do it in the dark.

That's what all the blinking lights are for - all real computers have
blinking lights right?-)

rick jones