From: Franck Ditter on
Just an advice as I see that "old" Python is maintained.
When starting with Python (simple programs and GUIs) should I start
with Python 3.x ? If it has a decent implementation on Mac/Linux/Windows of course...
Thanks,

franck
From: Aahz on
In article <wissme-3DC8E8.16054506062010(a)news.free.fr>,
Franck Ditter <wissme(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>When starting with Python (simple programs and GUIs) should I start
>with Python 3.x ?

That depends on the extent to which you rely strictly on the standard
Python library. If there's any likelihood that you will want to use
random third-party libraries, you probably want to stick with 2.x; ditto
if you want to rely on your users having their own copy of Python (in
which case you probably should target Python 2.4).
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it." --Dijkstra
From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/07/10 00:05, Franck Ditter wrote:
> Just an advice as I see that "old" Python is maintained.
> When starting with Python (simple programs and GUIs) should I start
> with Python 3.x ? If it has a decent implementation on Mac/Linux/Windows of course...

I say, if you're learning the language and/or programming, python 3 is a
nicer to start with. However, as of now, not many third party libraries
has been ported to python 3.x yet; so if you're writing a real
application and you're expecting to use many third party libraries, then
stick with python 2.x.