From: papa hippo on
The prime goal of 'phileas' is to enable html code to be seamlessly
included in python code in a natural looking syntax, without resorting
to templatng language.

see:

http://larry.myerscough.nl/phileas_project/

I intend to submit phileas to the python.announce forum within the
next few days. Any feedback received now will be gratefully received
and may lead to improved quality of that submission.

Larry Myerscough
Eindhoven NL
hippos(a)chello.nl

From: Steve Howell on
On Nov 19, 10:53 am, papa hippo <hippost...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The prime goal of 'phileas' is to enable html code to be seamlessly
> included in python code in a natural looking syntax, without resorting
> to templatng language.
>
> see:
>
> http://larry.myerscough.nl/phileas_project/
>
> I intend to submit phileas to the python.announce  forum within the
> next few days. Any feedback received now will be gratefully received
> and may lead to improved quality of that submission.

Hi Larry, looks like interesting stuff!

There appears to be a problem with this page:

http://larry.myerscough.nl/show_python_source.py?script_filename=./MyPage..py

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './MyPage.py'

I do like the idea of having a more Python-oriented way to generate
HTML.
From: Stefan Behnel on
papa hippo, 19.11.2009 19:53:
> The prime goal of 'phileas' is to enable html code to be seamlessly
> included in python code in a natural looking syntax, without resorting
> to templatng language.

I assume you know XIST, ElementTree's ElementMaker, and all those other
ways of generating XML/HTML from Python code in a natural looking way?

Stefan
From: papa hippo on
On 19 nov, 20:18, Steve Howell <showel...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 10:53 am, papa hippo <hippost...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The prime goal of 'phileas' is to enable html code to be seamlessly
> > included in python code in a natural looking syntax, without resorting
> > to templatng language.
>
> > see:
>
> >http://larry.myerscough.nl/phileas_project/
>
> > I intend to submit phileas to the python.announce  forum within the
> > next few days. Any feedback received now will be gratefully received
> > and may lead to improved quality of that submission.
>
> Hi Larry, looks like interesting stuff!
>
> There appears to be a problem with this page:
>
> http://larry.myerscough.nl/show_python_source.py?script_filename=./My....
>
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './MyPage.py'

Oh dear! my blunder; While syncing (with meld) from my test
environment to the live environment, I missed a file. It seems to be
fixed now.

> I do like the idea of having a more Python-oriented way to generate
> HTML.

That's good to hear.

Larry
From: papa hippo on
On 20 nov, 09:02, Stefan Behnel <stefan...(a)behnel.de> wrote:
> papa hippo, 19.11.2009 19:53:
>
> > The prime goal of 'phileas' is to enable html code to be seamlessly
> > included in python code in a natural looking syntax, without resorting
> > to templatng language.
>
> I assume you know XIST, ElementTree's ElementMaker, and all those other
> ways of generating XML/HTML from Python code in a natural looking way?
>
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I am aware that phileas might - on the basis of the short
description on this post - come across like a 're-invented wheel'.
There is, however, one big difference between phileas and all other
other similar packages (XIST, ELementTree, HTMLgen, HyperText,
pyhtmloo etc.) that I inspected:

Phileas uses distinct objects to generate each start and end tag,
whereas all the others use a single function call (in some cases
itself generated by a function call) to generate a complete well-
formed element including start-tag and (where required) end-tag. In
theory this is less neat and indeed it means one can write 'bad' HTML
(e.g. missing end of paragraphs) with phileas just as easily as when
writing pure html. In practice, however, I find it at a lot easier to
use.

While using pyhtmloo (my previous favourite HTML generator), I had
found myself using awkward complicated artificial constructions in
order to generate all but the simplest HTML - and spent much time
playing 'hunt the missing bracket'. With phileas, these complexities
seem to just fall away.

Put another way, Phileas generates HTML4.0 - warts and all; it is not
a parser or generator of XML.

I'm considering building in checks/warnings for unclosed elements
etc., probably in the next-but-one pre-release.

Larry
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: python and web pages