From: Krister Svanlund on
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Vijay Shanker Dubey
<vijay.shad(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My Linux box is ubuntu system. I want to create a development environment on
> my system for python programing language. I got to see there are two
> versions of python language
> 1. python 2.5.6
> 2. python 3.1.2
> To find out what version i look in to my "/usr/bin" folder. There are many
> entries for python command
> - python
> - python2
> - python2.5
> - python2.6
> - python3
> - python3.1
> what does this mean? I am able to run run my first program with all these
> command. should i remove all these and have theĀ latestĀ one? I am confused
> about these finding. Is this okay to have these all?
>
> Regards,
> Vijay Shanker Dubey

python is symlinked to one of the 2.5, 2.6 or 3.1... most probably
2.6. The python2 is symlink to one of 2.5 or 2.6 and python3 is
symlinked to python3.1. It's a clever way to be able to specify what
version is needed for a script.
From: Krister Svanlund on
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Vijay Shanker Dubey
<vijay.shad(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes you are right about symlink thing.
> So what should I do for a clever developer environment?
> Should I change that python link to python3 or python3.1?
>
> Regards,
> Vijay Shanker Dubey

It all depends on what you want to do. I would say that you shouldn't
change your python link at all, if you want to run a python script
using 3.1 just call the script using python3 as an interpreter.