From: Peter Otten on
W. eWatson wrote:

>>> I would think there are some small time and big time Python players who
>>> sell executable versions of their programs for profit?
>>
>> Yes. What's your point?
> That someone must know how to distribute them without having the source
> code ripped off.

Yes, but he won't tell for fear of getting ripped off of his knowledge.

From: W. eWatson on
I can't respond to otten directly, since he uses gmane. Here's my response.

W. eWatson wrote:

> > That someone must know how to distribute them without having the source
> > code ripped off.
Ott wrote?
Yes, but he won't tell for fear of getting ripped off of his knowledge.

Who won't tell? Why would I send you the py code, for example, if I
wanted to protect it because of its importance? I'd put it in exe form
and send it and allow you to input data to produce the desired result of
the program.
From: Peter Otten on
W. eWatson wrote:

> I can't respond to otten directly, since he uses gmane. Here's my
> response.

> players who

> > > That someone must know how to distribute them without having the
> > > source code ripped off.
> Ott wrote?
> Yes, but he won't tell for fear of getting ripped off of his knowledge.
>

> Who won't tell?

The the guy who knows how to distribute the source code without having it
ripped off...

Seriously, I try to make a joke once in a while, usually with devastating
results. The idea you were meant to take away was that once you start
thinking about a protection scheme there is always a next step until you
reach the point where your software, say, is completely safe, but also
completely unusable. Had Guido started the language in that mindset there
would be no Python for you to worry about its ripp-off safety.

> Why would I send you the py code, for example, if I
> wanted to protect it because of its importance?

Because if you think again you may find that it's not as important as you
think?

> I'd put it in exe form
> and send it and allow you to input data to produce the desired result of
> the program.

There is no analog in python, and if you cannot concentrate on your honest
customers the only option that offers reasonable "safety" would be to turn
your application into web service.

Peter
From: geremy condra on
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:00 AM, W. eWatson <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote:

>>> I would think there are some small time and big time Python players who
>>> sell
>>> executable versions of their programs for profit?
>>
>> Yes. What's your point?
>
> That someone must know how to distribute them without having the source code
> ripped off.

I've never seen a code obfuscation scheme I thought did the job the
whole way, including compiling C, and Python bytecode is significantly
easier to turn back into something resembling the original source
(YMMV, I suppose). Also, if you don't know about common tools like
distutils, the odds are pretty good that it isn't your code itself
that is valuable to you- you're probably more interested in protecting
your idea about what the code should do. At least for now, that's
outside of the scope of technical solutions- discuss it with a lawyer,
not a programmer.

>>> disutils. Sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure I was using Py2Exe, and
>>> disutils
>>> might have been part of it.
>>
>> distutils.
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/library/distutils.html
>
> I don't see ;how distutils is going to solve this problem. Are you
> suggesting the program should be packaged? Why? I can just send it to him as
> py code. distutils looks like it's for library modules, e.g., functions like
> math.

....no. Distutils is handy because you could just bundle your
dependencies and hand them an easy-to-install package, which would be
a quick way to get everybody on the same page. Of course, depending on
the licenses those dependencies are under you might want to do even
more talking to a lawyer than I've previously suggested before you go
about trying to sell that bundle- I'm sure you wouldn't want to 'rip
off' great free projects like python and numpy.

Geremy Condra
From: W. eWatson on
On 8/6/2010 9:03 AM, Peter Otten wrote:

> Seriously, I try to make a joke once in a while, usually with devastating
> results. The idea you were meant to take away was that once you start
> thinking about a protection scheme there is always a next step until you
> reach the point where your software, say, is completely safe, but also
> completely unusable. Had Guido started the language in that mindset there
> would be no Python for you to worry about its ripp-off safety.
>
>> Why would I send you the py code, for example, if I
>> wanted to protect it because of its importance?
>
> Because if you think again you may find that it's not as important as you
> think?
>
>> I'd put it in exe form
>> and send it and allow you to input data to produce the desired result of
>> the program.
>
> There is no analog in python, and if you cannot concentrate on your honest
> customers the only option that offers reasonable "safety" would be to turn
> your application into web service.
>
> Peter
So you think Python is part of open software in terms of distributing a
"product"? So I should stick to C, where one can distribute programs w/o
revealing code details, and having a customer compile the code? It's
been awhile since I've used Linux or Unix, but I think there's a lot of
commercial code out there dependent upon it, and the users do not have
to compile anything.