From: Steve Holden on
gslindstrom(a)gmail.com wrote:
> My company is looking at creating a tool to allow us to define and
> manage a process for each job we run (a typical job may be look on a
> customers ftp site for a file, download it, decrypt it and load it into
> our database). We would like something which would allow us to glue
> together various existing processes we currently use into a single unit
> with multiple steps. Along the way, this new routine would need to log
> its progress and be able to report and even handle errors. A coworker
> has suggested we look at Ant ("Another Neat Tool") and, though it looks
> promising, I have reservations. If I recall correctly, it was intended
> as a replacement for "Make" and I worry that we may be trying to force
> Ant to be something it is not. Also, most of our code base is in Python
> and I'd really like to stay that way, of possible.
>
> Are there any systems out there that will allow me to run multiple
> programs as one process? We could write our own, of course, and the
> Twisted package looks like it would be fun to use. Or, is Ant a viable
> solution to our problem?
>
> Your constructive comments would be appreciated
>
> Greg Lindstrom
> Novasys Health
> Little Rock, Arkansas

Take a look at fabric. It was designed for installation, but it might do
what you want.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
From: John Bokma on
Steve Holden <steve(a)holdenweb.com> writes:

Apologies for the piggy back, my Usenet provider can't get the OP's
message.

> gslindstrom(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> My company is looking at creating a tool to allow us to define and
>> manage a process for each job we run (a typical job may be look on a
>> customers ftp site for a file, download it, decrypt it and load it into
>> our database). We would like something which would allow us to glue
>> together various existing processes we currently use into a single unit
>> with multiple steps. Along the way, this new routine would need to log
>> its progress and be able to report and even handle errors. A coworker
>> has suggested we look at Ant ("Another Neat Tool") and, though it looks
>> promising, I have reservations. If I recall correctly, it was intended
>> as a replacement for "Make" and I worry that we may be trying to force
>> Ant to be something it is not.

It was intended as a replacement. But you can use it for many other
things, without making it feel out of place in my opinion. I do use it
exactly the way you describe for various tasks: calling external
programs, uploading a file, etc. My personal site, see sig, is generated
by a Perl program, and uploaded by another, and some other programs have
to run as well, and all is glued together using ant. If I modify an XML
file (my site is defined using XML), I do:

ant local

to update a local version.

If I am happy with how it looks, I do

ant upload

Ant makes several things really easy. The things I do with it would take
me more lines in either Perl or Python. So I use Perl (or Python) when
it makes things easier, and ant to glue everything together if that's
easier.

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Chris Rebert on
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM, <gslindstrom(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> My company is looking at creating a tool to allow us to define and manage a
> process for each job we run (a typical job may be look on a customers ftp
> site for a file, download it, decrypt it and load it into our database). We
> would like something which would allow us to glue together various existing
> processes we currently use into a single unit with multiple steps. Along the
> way, this new routine would need to log its progress and be able to report
> and even handle errors. A coworker has suggested we look at Ant ("Another
> Neat Tool") and, though it looks promising, I have reservations. If I recall
> correctly, it was intended as a replacement for "Make" and I worry that we
> may be trying to force Ant to be something it is not. Also, most of our code
> base is in Python and I'd really like to stay that way, of possible.
>
> Are there any systems out there that will allow me to run multiple programs
> as one process? We could write our own, of course, and the Twisted package
> looks like it would be fun to use. Or, is Ant a viable solution to our
> problem?
>
> Your constructive comments would be appreciated

There are several make-replacements written in Python. They could be an option.

Here's a list of some of them (courtesy some googling):
- Paver (http://www.blueskyonmars.com/projects/paver/)
- SCons (http://www.scons.org/)
- Vellum (https://launchpad.net/vellum)
- Aap (http://www.a-a-p.org/)

(List is in no particular order and likely incomplete; I have not
tried any of these myself.)

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: Javier Collado on
Hello,

One tool that I really like is doit:
http://python-doit.sourceforge.net/

If you need to execute jobs remotely, you may like to take a look at STAF:
http://staf.sourceforge.net/index.php

Best regards,
Javier