From: Vincent Davis on
I would like to have a python script that would download the most
recent svn of python, configure, make, install and cleanup after
itself. I am not replacing the python version I would be using to run
the script.
I was struggling to get this to work and I assume someone else has
done it better. Any pointers?

Thanks
Vincent
From: Daniel Fetchinson on
> I would like to have a python script that would download the most
> recent svn of python, configure, make, install and cleanup after
> itself. I am not replacing the python version I would be using to run
> the script.
> I was struggling to get this to work and I assume someone else has
> done it better. Any pointers?

Assuming you are on linux I recommend not using a python script for
this but rather a shell script. From a python script you would most of
the time be calling shell commands anyway. In a shell script you would
do something like this:

################################
#!/bin/bash

svn checkout ........................
cd whatever
../configure --whatever-options-you-like
make
# you probably want to run this as root
make install
# you probably don't want to be root anymore
cd ..
rm -rf whatever

################################

If you are on windows I assume a similar strategy is best.

Cheers,
Daniel

From: Vincent Davis on
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Daniel Fetchinson
<fetchinson(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to have a python script that would download the most
>> recent svn of python, configure, make, install and cleanup after
>> itself. I am not replacing the python version I would be using to run
>> the script.
>> I was struggling to get this to work and I assume someone else has
>> done it better.  Any pointers?
>
> Assuming you are on linux I recommend not using a python script for
> this but rather a shell script. From a python script you would most of
> the time be calling shell commands anyway. In a shell script you would
> do something like this:
>
> ################################
> #!/bin/bash
>
> svn checkout ........................
> cd whatever
> ./configure --whatever-options-you-like
> make
> # you probably want to run this as root
> make install
> # you probably don't want to be root anymore
> cd ..
> rm -rf whatever

Ok I'll take your advice and just use a shell script. I am on osx by the way.

Thanks
Vincent