From: Adam Tauno Williams on
On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 10:55 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 05:01 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Yes, we install Python 2.6 on CentOS and run a production app on it - no
> > problems.
> > rpm -Uvh
> > http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/5/i386/ius-release-1-4.ius.el5.noarch.rpm
> > yum -y install python26 python26-setuptools
> Thanks for posting this link. Very useful and interesting.
> The only problem I have is how do I tell what third-party repositories
> are to be trusted in my production systems? And even more important,
> which repositories are actually going to keep up to date on security
> updates in the long run? It's hard to know.

I don't know about "third-party repositories", but IUS is solid.
They've been around since 2006.

<http://iuscommunity.org/about/>

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam(a)whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>

From: John Nagle on
Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 05/31/2010 05:13 AM, Jason D wrote:
>> There is however never been an issue to locate different version of python
>> in your system as you deem fit without problems.
>> So I dont understand why your concern.
>
> Actually, replacing python on RHEL is a major endeavor. Almost all Red
> Hat utilities are written in python and depend on the specific system
> version of python that they shipped. Thus if you want to upgrade python
> you're going to break 80% of the system.
>
> Sure you can install Python from source alongside the system python, but
> that's a maintenance nightmare for system administrators.

There's something to be said for having all versions of Python installed
as "python2.4", "python2.6", "python3.1", etc., with the name "python"
simply being a link to the favored version. Maybe that should be
the default. The Python Windows installers already work that way; they
create "\python26", etc. directories. The Linux installers, by
default, want to install as "python".

Add-on RPMs should be set up for versioned install. Then you can
safely install alternate versions. I gather that "iuscommunity.org"
distributions do something like this.

John Nagle
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4