From: dan73 on
What gives with these 5 star profile ratings
where any one rating for a post can be 1 too 5!

Who are they rated by?

Are they rated by the value of the post or
the average value of all posts'?

??

Dan
From: hagman on
On 4 Okt., 13:24, dan73 <fasttrac...(a)att.net> wrote:
> What gives with these 5 star profile ratings
> where any one rating for a post can be 1 too 5!
>
> Who are they rated by?
>
> Are they rated by the value of the post or
> the average value of all posts'?
>
> ??
>
> Dan

Obviously, this question should rather be posted in a newsgroup
about Google Groups.
From: dan73 on

Hagman wrote:
>Obviously, this question should rather be posted in a >newsgroup about Google Groups.

Sorry, you are right.

My original thought it was math related
because to rate a profile about math related
posts, the person(s) rating the profiles would
have to be experts in that field, but I get your
point.

Dan
From: Doug Freyburger on
dan73 wrote:
> What gives with these 5 star profile ratings
> where any one rating for a post can be 1 too 5!

Because a one star rating is common for trolls and
spammers, there is less meaning to the numbers 2-4.
Thus 5 ends up suggesting value and it's nearly
binary much of the time.

> Who are they rated by?

Anyone who reads using google, so a random sampling
of readers not posters. For the years I read on
google I rated plenty of posts. My account remains
active so I might end up rating more.

> Are they rated by the value of the post or
> the average value of all posts'?

Google displays the average of the ratings of that
posting, but few posts get rated by many readers.
If you agree with the rating there's little point
in repeating it with the same polarizing effect I
mentioned.

So in the end the ratings of any one post are too
random to matter much. Whether the final average
for a poster who's received hundred of ratings is
more valuable is a matter of tastes - Do you care if
hundreds of google readers give you some number of
stars? It's definitely easy to identify trolls and
spammers in the few cases they behave themselves on
a single group but if that poster is behaving on
that group it hardly matters.
From: Mensanator on
On Oct 4, 5:53�pm, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> dan73 wrote:
> > What gives with these 5 star profile ratings
> > where any one rating for a post can be 1 too 5!
>
> Because a one star rating is common for trolls and
> spammers, there is less meaning to the numbers 2-4.
> Thus 5 ends up suggesting value and it's nearly
> binary much of the time.
>
> > Who are they rated by?
>
> Anyone who reads using google, so a random sampling
> of readers not posters. �For the years I read on
> google I rated plenty of posts. �My account remains
> active so I might end up rating more.
>
> > Are they rated by the value of the post or
> > the average value of all posts'?
>
> Google displays the average of the ratings of that
> posting, but few posts get rated by many readers.
> If you agree with the rating there's little point
> in repeating it with the same polarizing effect I
> mentioned.

Little point? Don't know any mathematics, eh?
Sure, a post that's already rated 3 won't change
if you also rate it 3, but it will become deeper
entrenched.