From: Janis Papanagnou on
Douglas Alan wrote:
> [...]
>
> And while they were at it, they should have required a "back"
> function, like web browsers have. So that you might do "cd --back" to
> retrace your cd steps.

There's at least the cd - to get back to the previous directory, so
you can switch forth and back, at least.

WRT a stack of visited directories; there's always (since decades) been
the pushd/popd/dirs functions available (though not as builtins, usually).

Janis

From: Stephane CHAZELAS on
2010-01-07, 20:18(+01), Janis Papanagnou:
[...]
> WRT a stack of visited directories; there's always (since decades) been
> the pushd/popd/dirs functions available (though not as builtins, usually).
[...]

pushd and popd are built in tcsh, zsh and bash. zsh also has the
~1, ~-1, ~2... expansions for the directory stack.

--
St�phane
From: pk on
Douglas Alan wrote:

> On Jan 6, 9:27 pm, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry. Can you give an example of filename completion where
>> the difference between physical directory structure and
>> logical structure causes a problem? I can't think of any
>> examples, off hand, where this would matter.
>
> I often have symlink shortcuts that point to various places in the
> filesystem, and I *know* where the link points to. I'm using the
> symlink as a shortcut, so that I don't have to type as much. When I
> use ".." I want to use the UNIX meaning of "open the directory
> named ..", which to UNIX also means, "open the parent directory of the
> directory where '..' is located".
>
> I know what I'm doing, and I don't want bash second-guessing me. I
> don't want bash to interpret ".." as strip off the previous path
> component. I want the UNIX meaning of ".." which is "the parent
> directory".
>
> Btw, the way I want bash to behave for me is the way the Bourne Shell
> behaves, the way that the Korn shell behaves, the way the csh behaves,
> the way the tcsh behaves, AND the way that the zsh behaves. So PLEASE
> don't tell me that I'm asking for something weird.
>
> I just want bash to behave the same way in this regard as *every*
> other shell.

you may try asking on the bug-bash mailing list, perhaps adding to a recent
thread that, as a matter of fact, is about a similar problem:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2010-01/msg00002.html