From: Mok-Kong Shen on
I found an article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unclonable_function

and have a layman's question: How successful has been that idea in
practice, could someone kindly write a few sentences on current major
examples of applications?

Thanks.

M. K. Shen
From: Tom St Denis on
On May 27, 3:19 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> I found an article:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unclonable_function
>
> and have a layman's question: How successful has been that idea in
> practice, could someone kindly write a few sentences on current major
> examples of applications?

There was a break recently on eprint.iacr.org.

From what I recall the idea in practice isn't as secure as it would
sound on paper.

Tom
From: Peter Fairbrother on
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
> I found an article:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unclonable_function
>
> and have a layman's question: How successful has been that idea in
> practice, could someone kindly write a few sentences on current major
> examples of applications?

Here is one use I know of, in nuclear disarmament control. They epoxy
sparkles to the bomb-part or RV in a clear resin and shine lights on
them at different angles - the patterns of reflections are unique for
each patch.

As far as I know that's still secure, but many of the newer fancy-pants
electronic ones aren't.

-- Peter Fairbrother
From: Peter Fairbrother on
Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>> I found an article:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unclonable_function
>>
>> and have a layman's question: How successful has been that idea in
>> practice, could someone kindly write a few sentences on current major
>> examples of applications?
>
> Here is one use I know of, in nuclear disarmament control. They epoxy
> sparkles to the bomb-part or RV in a clear resin and shine lights on
> them at different angles - the patterns of reflections are unique for
> each patch.
>
> As far as I know that's still secure, but many of the newer fancy-pants
> electronic ones aren't.

Would you consider a chip in an ATM/credit card to be a PUF? Or a
dongle? A RFID chip?

If so they are very widely used.

-- Peter Fairbrother
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Peter Fairbrother:

> Would you consider a chip in an ATM/credit card to be a PUF? Or a
> dongle? A RFID chip?
>
> If so they are very widely used.

My layman's "conjecture" is that these are not to be considered PUF,
because there are clearly defined and specified distinctive
informations that could even eventually be modified at will, while PUF
rests on physical randomness (compare here also with pseudo-randomness).

M. K. Shen