From: Bob on
Since the FCC are proposing to remove the APC requirement for spread
spectrum transmissions and limit the PEP to 10W is this going to create
more or reduce interference on Wifi networks.
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-38A1.pdf>

"� 97.313 Transmitter power standards.
* * * * *
(j) No station may transmit with a transmitter output exceeding 10 W PEP
when the station is transmitting a SS emission type."
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:30:34 +0000, Bob <bob(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Since the FCC are proposing to remove the APC requirement for spread
>spectrum transmissions and limit the PEP to 10W is this going to create
>more or reduce interference on Wifi networks.
><http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-38A1.pdf>
>
>"� 97.313 Transmitter power standards.
>* * * * *
>(j) No station may transmit with a transmitter output exceeding 10 W PEP
>when the station is transmitting a SS emission type."

No change. The purpose of the NPR was to eliminate the unworkable
automatic power control requirement for any spread spectrum
transmissions on any band. Very few ham stations run high power on
2.4GHz. While it's theoretically possible to legally use someting
that hits the 1KW power output limit, few hams do this. Hams have a
mostly clear area from 2300-2400Mhz where 802.11 is not allowed.
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/EPS/openness/appendb.html>
Note that the NPR only affects spread spectrum usage, and has no
effect on other modes such as CW, SSB, FM, ATV, repeaters, etc.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com jeffl(a)cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
From: Bob on
On 21/03/2010 04:15, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:30:34 +0000, Bob<bob(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Since the FCC are proposing to remove the APC requirement for spread
>> spectrum transmissions and limit the PEP to 10W is this going to create
>> more or reduce interference on Wifi networks.
>> <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-38A1.pdf>
>>
>> "� 97.313 Transmitter power standards.
>> * * * * *
>> (j) No station may transmit with a transmitter output exceeding 10 W PEP
>> when the station is transmitting a SS emission type."
>
> No change. The purpose of the NPR was to eliminate the unworkable
> automatic power control requirement for any spread spectrum
> transmissions on any band. Very few ham stations run high power on
> 2.4GHz. While it's theoretically possible to legally use someting
> that hits the 1KW power output limit, few hams do this. Hams have a
> mostly clear area from 2300-2400Mhz where 802.11 is not allowed.

But they do like to experiment
High-Speed Digital Networks and Multimedia
<http://web.archive.org/web/20050416130935/http://www.arrl.org/hsmm/project.html>

and they do cover quite a few channels.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_multimedia_radio#Frequencies_and_channels>
From: Bob on
On 21/03/2010 04:15, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:30:34 +0000, Bob<bob(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Since the FCC are proposing to remove the APC requirement for spread
>> spectrum transmissions and limit the PEP to 10W is this going to create
>> more or reduce interference on Wifi networks.
>> <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-38A1.pdf>
>>
>> "� 97.313 Transmitter power standards.
>> * * * * *
>> (j) No station may transmit with a transmitter output exceeding 10 W PEP
>> when the station is transmitting a SS emission type."
>
> No change. The purpose of the NPR was to eliminate the unworkable
> automatic power control requirement for any spread spectrum
> transmissions on any band.
The IEE802.18 Group disagreed in 2006 so will they disagree this time?
<http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=5513499721>
I did have difficulty finding the relevant RM as it seems to have been
duplicated with an irrelevant document.
The list of respondents at that time are listed here:-
<http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=RM-11325>

From: D. Stussy on
"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:30:34 +0000, Bob <bob(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >Since the FCC are proposing to remove the APC requirement for spread
> >spectrum transmissions and limit the PEP to 10W is this going to create
> >more or reduce interference on Wifi networks.
> ><http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-38A1.pdf>
> >
> >"� 97.313 Transmitter power standards.
> >* * * * *
> >(j) No station may transmit with a transmitter output exceeding 10 W PEP
> >when the station is transmitting a SS emission type."
>
> No change. The purpose of the NPR was to eliminate the unworkable
> automatic power control requirement for any spread spectrum
> transmissions on any band. Very few ham stations run high power on
> 2.4GHz. While it's theoretically possible to legally use someting
> that hits the 1KW power output limit, few hams do this. Hams have a
> mostly clear area from 2300-2400Mhz where 802.11 is not allowed.
> <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/EPS/openness/appendb.html>
> Note that the NPR only affects spread spectrum usage, and has no
> effect on other modes such as CW, SSB, FM, ATV, repeaters, etc.

Mostly clear? When we only have 20MHz of the 100MHz range you cited?
Amateur radio does NOT have 2310-2390.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Wireless connection driving me crazy.
Next: Handsets