From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> ECMAScript JavaScript JScript V8 JSC Opera KJS
> [1] 5 [15.2.4.6] 1.5 5.5.6330 2.0 525.13 5.02 4.3.4
> ___
> [1] Object.prototype.isPrototypeOf(Object) : boolean

Should be ES 3, not 5. Further corrections are welcome (as always).

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
From: Asen Bozhilov on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> (You are still writing a lot of gibberish.)

You can interpret however you want.

> Yes, he got me confused (intentionally?) with the __proto__ argument.

No, there isn't world conspiracy against you.

> ¹  <http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix>

Why do you group in table unicode escape sequences for string literals
and regular expression literals? While escape sequences in string
literals are documented in ECMA-262-1, escape sequences in regular
expression literals are part of ECMA-262 standard edition 3.
And in table there isn't unicode escape sequences as part of
IdentifierName, which ECMA-262-3 allow.

From: Andrea Giammarchi on
> Yes, he got me confused (intentionally?) with the __proto__ argument.

__proto__ property points the inherited prototype

Since what you want to do is to know if an object inherited from
Map.prototype, where in Gecko Map.prototype === new Map().__proto__, I
have used that syntax to explain the concept behind the check.

Moreover, the === operator does not tell us if the instance inherits
from extended prototype, this is why isPrototypeOf is required.

function Map() {}
function Map2() {}
Map2.prototype = new Map;

var m = new Map;
var m2 = new Map2;

m2.__proto__ === Map.prototype; // false

m.__proto__.isPrototypeOf(m2); // true

// ... and ...
m.__proto__ === Map.prototype; // true

So, how can you get confuse about that variable called __proto__?

Finally, which part of an exposed public constructor property unable
to tell you about inheritance, if any, can be considered more robust?
And why are don't you deal with IE3 as well and possibly with a
browser for Commodore 64?

Regards
From: Andrea Giammarchi on
by the way, I have just remembered when I was playing with some T-Rex
and IE4 I wrote this library which is compatible and normalizes death
browsers:
http://devpro.it/JSL/

If interested, there are few interesting things there, have a look if
interested.

Regards
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On Mar 20, 4:19 am, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammar...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> by the way, I have just remembered when I was playing with some T-Rex
> and IE4 I wrote this library which is compatible and normalizes death
> browsers:http://devpro.it/JSL/
>
> If interested, there are few interesting things there, have a look if
> interested.
>
> Regards

From http://devpro.it/JSL/JSLOpenSource.js
---------
if(typeof(XMLHttpRequest)==="undefined"){XMLHttpRequest=function(){
var tmp=null,elm=navigator.userAgent;
if(elm.toUpperCase().indexOf("MSIE 4")<0&&window.ActiveXObject)
tmp=elm.indexOf("MSIE 5")<0?new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP"):new
ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
return tmp;
}};

Whats with the sniffing?