From: Iain Sharp on
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 02:56:07 -0700 (PDT), Philipp Post
<post.philipp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>> No, I'm saying that their business model in the U.K. means that it is not FREE to find out a companies DUNS number, in fact, it seems to be quite difficult.
>
>PCI Systems Ltd, Sheffield. Have fun. <
>
>Apart from the question if the DUNS is a good key here, I can query
>the DUNS numbers at the following web site:
>
>http://www.upik.de/en/upik_suche.cgi?new=1
>
>For PCI SYSTEMS LTD, Pci Ho Woodseats Clo, S8 0TB SHEFFIELD I get DUNS
>Number 385670922
>
>brgds
>
>Philipp Post

Ooh, what do you know, we've got a DUNS number. I wonder where the
U.K. equivalent site is? When I tried the D&B site, it appeared I had
to pay to get the info...

Iain
From: Simon Whale on
I can't seem to find it either Iain, but back to your original statement
here in the UK i've seen it used once personally and that was BT to allow
you to become a wholesale client.

its weight here in the UK is limited and as Tony stated companies house has
more weight and power

Simon

From: Iain Sharp on

Interstingly, according to wakypedia.

"The number as issued is random and the digits apparently have no
significance as to their issuance. Until approximately December 2006,
the DUNS number contained a Mod 10 check digit to support error
detection. The check digit was discontinued to increase the inventory
of DUNS numbers available for assignment by 800 million. There is no
charge to obtain a DUNS number. When obtaining a DUNS number online,
the wait can be as long as 30 days. When requesting a DUNS number by
phone and paying an investigation fee, it is issued immediately."

So, it's someone else's ID number. With no check digit. It's a
randomly assigned unique number.
There are therefore no 'un-assignable' DUNS numbers, which means that
storing the 'fake' ones for people who have not got one, stands a
non-zero chance of causing you problems later on, and cannot be
separated into known data and fake data. Oooh, poor.

Iain

From: Iain Sharp on

Oooh, oohh, and (again wakypedia)

"A DUNS number is also a way in which separate corporate entities,
which have no official relationship, can be branded as one unit by
having one DUNS number for affiliated companies."

So it's not unique per company....

From: Tony Rogerson on
> its weight here in the UK is limited and as Tony stated companies house
> has more weight and power

It's even more than that, Companies House is the actual issuing authority
here in the UK for Limited Companies (the predominate company type in the
UK) - that is were I (as a company) send my yearly accounts, I have a legal
requirement to keep them updated of change of address, directors etc... They
have the power to start proceedings to strike me off so I can never be a
director again, issue fines for being late on giving them information etc...

This is going to be a really good come back against CELKO's rant's on this.

Think about it - the natural key that can be verified back to source (the
issuer = Companies House) for my company Torver Computer Consultants Ltd, my
"company registration number" is 3298151, which is again just an incremental
number, it does not contain any information to verify what I do, where I am
nothing; ok - I do have a DUNS number, given that Companies House is the
issuing source DUNS should according to CELKO's teachings be using that - my
DUNS number is: 378118491, comparing the two - DUNS has created its own
number! So, DUNS knowing full well that the issuing authority here in the UK
is Companies House have ignored that and used their own - doesn't matter how
CELKO tries to wriggle - that goes against EVERYTHING he says on here and in
his books.

To follow CELKO's advice the DUNS number should be made up of something like
[ISO Country Code][Category of Business][Checksum of the Company Name][Check
Digit].

Tony.