From: dankonsoer on
Hello all,

This seems basic, but I just cannot get it. While using SQL Server 2005 and
the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I created a database called
AssetQuote. Inside I have on table called assetquotes.

From there, I have three columns, (date, quote, author)

The column type for date is datetime and the other two are just text.

My Query is something this:

INSERT INTO AssetQuote (date, quote, author)
VALUES('052010','No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.',
'Aesop');

When I run the query I get this result:

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Invalid object name 'AssetQuote'.

I got this once before but cleared the table out because I wanted to change
the date format.

After I finally get those, I want to display the MONTHLY quote on the home
page of the website, but after the 30/31st of every month, I was hoping to
get this quote to automatically change!

//declare the SQL statement that will query the database
$query = "SELECT * ";
$query .= "FROM quotes";

I'm sure it's some sort of WHERE statement, but I'm not sure how to obtain
that?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

From: Dan on

"dankonsoer" <u60910(a)uwe> wrote in message news:a9838cc926f43(a)uwe...
> Hello all,
>
> This seems basic, but I just cannot get it. While using SQL Server 2005
> and
> the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I created a database called
> AssetQuote. Inside I have on table called assetquotes.
>
> From there, I have three columns, (date, quote, author)
>
> The column type for date is datetime and the other two are just text.
>
> My Query is something this:
>
> INSERT INTO AssetQuote (date, quote, author)
> VALUES('052010','No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever
> wasted.',
> 'Aesop');
>
> When I run the query I get this result:
>
> Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
> Invalid object name 'AssetQuote'.

You say the table is called assetquotes (note the s at the end), yet you are
trying to insert to a table called AssetQuote (no s at the end). Have you
got the DDL for your table so it's clearer as to whether you have a typo or
not?

Also, is your database using a case-sensitive collation? If so, table and
column names in statements will need to match the defined case or else
you'll see the same error message.

> I got this once before but cleared the table out because I wanted to
> change
> the date format.
>
> After I finally get those, I want to display the MONTHLY quote on the home
> page of the website, but after the 30/31st of every month, I was hoping to
> get this quote to automatically change!
>
> //declare the SQL statement that will query the database
> $query = "SELECT * ";
> $query .= "FROM quotes";
>
> I'm sure it's some sort of WHERE statement, but I'm not sure how to obtain
> that?
>
> THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

And now in that query you're using the table name quotes. That's 3 different
table names you've used in a single post. So what is the actual table name?
It is assetquotes, AssetQuote, or quotes?

As to the where, you would do this based on the date - but without knowing
whether your data column is defined as a date or a varchar/char and how you
want the date to be handled - does the date specify the start date for the
quote to show, or the end date, or something else - it makes it awkward to
suggest anything.

--
Dan

From: dankonsoer on
Thank you. I figured the first part out, it was something stupid on my part,
but now the facts are:

My table name is called assetquotes (all lowercase)

my three columns are date, author, quote (all lowercase)

I changed the date format to read 20100501 20100601 20100701 etc.

Right now on my screen, I was able to print the current date using PHP, so it
shows 201006, but the rest of the screen displays the full date/time as well
as the quotes as I formatted it.

201006
May 1 2010 12:00AM '' No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
''

Aesop
Jun 1 2010 12:00AM '' When I want to speak, let me think first: Is it true?
Is it kind? Is it necessary? If not, let it be left unsaid. ''

Babcock
Jul 1 2010 12:00AM '' There is more to life than just increasing its speed.
''

Ghandi

Now I just need to figure out how to format this query to get only the JUNE
quote to display until July 1 when the next quote will appear!

Thank you!

From: Dan on

"dankonsoer" <u60910(a)uwe> wrote in message news:a983b9e5ff78b(a)uwe...
> Thank you. I figured the first part out, it was something stupid on my
> part,
> but now the facts are:
>
> My table name is called assetquotes (all lowercase)
>
> my three columns are date, author, quote (all lowercase)
>
> I changed the date format to read 20100501 20100601 20100701 etc.
>
> Right now on my screen, I was able to print the current date using PHP, so
> it
> shows 201006, but the rest of the screen displays the full date/time as
> well
> as the quotes as I formatted it.
>
> 201006
> May 1 2010 12:00AM '' No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever
> wasted.
> ''
>

> Aesop
> Jun 1 2010 12:00AM '' When I want to speak, let me think first: Is it
> true?
> Is it kind? Is it necessary? If not, let it be left unsaid. ''
>
> Babcock
> Jul 1 2010 12:00AM '' There is more to life than just increasing its
> speed.
> ''
>
> Ghandi
>
> Now I just need to figure out how to format this query to get only the
> JUNE
> quote to display until July 1 when the next quote will appear!
>
> Thank you!

SELECT TOP 1 author, quote
FROM assetquotes
WHERE date < getdate()
ORDER BY date DESC

this will retrieve only the author and quote columns from the first row
where the date column is less than or equal to the current system date/time.
This assumes that the date column has a date datatype.

--
Dan

From: dankonsoer on
That is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!! Worked like a charm!