From: Bob Quintal on
emanning <emanning(a)kumc.edu> wrote in
:

> Using A2007. I've got a query that pulls 2 tables together. One
> table is for a person's name and some demographic data. The 2nd
> is for addresses. A person can have more than one address. If a
> person has multiple addresses, one of them is usually marked as
> the primary address by way of a yes/no field. There are times
> though when it's not known what the primary address is. So a
> person could have, say, 2 addresses, neither of which are primary.
>
> How do I develop the query to pull the primary address if it's
> marked, otherwise just pull the first address available?
>
> Thanks for any help or advice.

Create a Totals query on the addresses table that groups by the foreign
key of this table and then uses the 'first' option of all other fields.
Have it sort on the primary address flag so that is the first record if
the flag exists. Then use this query instead of the addresses table in
the query that joins the name and address.

You could actually embed the second query into the top-level one, but
that type of SQL is only for the brave and experienced programmer.
--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.
From: paii, Ron on

"emanning" <emanning(a)kumc.edu> wrote in message
On Feb 25, 3:23 pm, hbinc <j.van.g...(a)hccnet.nl> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 9:29 pm, emanning <emann...(a)kumc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Using A2007. I've got a query that pulls 2 tables together. One
> > table is for a person's name and some demographic data. The 2nd is
> > for addresses. A person can have more than one address. If a person
> > has multiple addresses, one of them is usually marked as the primary
> > address by way of a yes/no field. There are times though when it's
> > not known what the primary address is. So a person could have, say, 2
> > addresses, neither of which are primary.
>
> > How do I develop the query to pull the primary address if it's marked,
> > otherwise just pull the first address available?
>
> > Thanks for any help or advice.
>
> Hi Emanning,
>
> In a couple of applications I had the same problem. I solved it by
> forcing that every person has exactly one primary address. If the
> person could not decide, or had no preference, you choose one.
> At least the person will then be adressed on always the same adress.
>
> HBInc.

> In a perfect world, where customers actually listened to database
> developers, that would be the perfect solution.

You as the developer can help the user/customer make the application behave
like it's a perfect world. Have you form make the 1st address entered
primary. If the user selects another as primary; have your code update the
other record(s).

From: Salad on
paii, Ron wrote:

> "emanning" <emanning(a)kumc.edu> wrote in message
> On Feb 25, 3:23 pm, hbinc <j.van.g...(a)hccnet.nl> wrote:
>
>>On Feb 25, 9:29 pm, emanning <emann...(a)kumc.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>Using A2007. I've got a query that pulls 2 tables together. One
>>>table is for a person's name and some demographic data. The 2nd is
>>>for addresses. A person can have more than one address. If a person
>>>has multiple addresses, one of them is usually marked as the primary
>>>address by way of a yes/no field. There are times though when it's
>>>not known what the primary address is. So a person could have, say, 2
>>>addresses, neither of which are primary.
>>
>>>How do I develop the query to pull the primary address if it's marked,
>>>otherwise just pull the first address available?
>>
>>>Thanks for any help or advice.
>>
>>Hi Emanning,
>>
>>In a couple of applications I had the same problem. I solved it by
>>forcing that every person has exactly one primary address. If the
>>person could not decide, or had no preference, you choose one.
>>At least the person will then be adressed on always the same adress.
>>
>>HBInc.
>

>>In a perfect world, where customers actually listened to database
>>developers, that would be the perfect solution.
>

> You as the developer can help the user/customer make the application behave
> like it's a perfect world. Have you form make the 1st address entered
> primary. If the user selects another as primary; have your code update the
> other record(s).

With A2007, you can send out an email for data collection. So one could
send out an email to those that didn't have a primary address, ask them
if the one selected by the query is correct, and provide a textbox to
change if not/false. When they reply, it automatically updates the
table. This might be an option for updating the database.