From: mattohope on
Hi All,

Relatively newbie here, I’ve got a question about the DeliveryMode
option for sendmail, specifically the defer option.

I've got an out of the box RHEL 4 sendmail installation (8.13.1), I’ve
configured it to accept emails to localhost.localdomain and
mydomain.com ( C{w}localhost.localdomain mydomain.com ) and added
an entry in the virtusertable to deliver any emails to mydomain.com to
a mailbox called test:
@mydomain.com test

When I run sendmal in background or queue mode any email I attempt to
send to otherdomain.com get rejected as my mail server is not
configured to accept mails to this domain. However when I switch the
system into defer mode it accepts the mail, as I'd expect, however
when the queue runner runs it relays this mail instead of rejecting
it.

Now from the sendmail docs I’ve got the following description on defer
mode:
Mode “d” is identical to mode “q” except that it also prevents lookups
in maps including the -D flag from working during the initial queue
phase;

This seems to indicate that check_rcpt (and other checks) will be run
once the queue is processed, however from my tests this appears not to
be the case.

My question is therefore is there anyway to get sendmail to accept the
emails without running all the checks (check_mail, check_rcpt...) when
the mail is submitted to the queue but run them once the queue is
processed?

The reason for this question is I have a windows email management
system that sends emails to my SMTP server, it has a hard coded limit
of 2 minutes to get responses from MAIL and RCPT commands, however
some addresses take longer than two minutes to validate, therefore the
windows app crashes. I can't simply run in defer mode and forget the
checks as the server also accepts emails from the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
mattohope <mattohope(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Relatively newbie here, I've got a question about the DeliveryMode
> option for sendmail, specifically the defer option.
>
> I've got an out of the box RHEL 4 sendmail installation (8.13.1), I've
> configured it to accept emails to localhost.localdomain and
> mydomain.com ( C{w}localhost.localdomain mydomain.com ) and added
> an entry in the virtusertable to deliver any emails to mydomain.com to
> a mailbox called test:
> @mydomain.com test
>
> When I run sendmal in background or queue mode any email I attempt to
> send to otherdomain.com get rejected as my mail server is not
> configured to accept mails to this domain. However when I switch the
> system into defer mode it accepts the mail, as I'd expect, however
> when the queue runner runs it relays this mail instead of rejecting
> it.
>
> Now from the sendmail docs I've got the following description on defer
> mode:
> Mode “d” is identical to mode “q” except that it also prevents lookups
> in maps including the -D flag from working during the initial queue
> phase;
>
> This seems to indicate that check_rcpt (and other checks) will be run
> once the queue is processed, however from my tests this appears not to
> be the case.
>
> My question is therefore is there anyway to get sendmail to accept the
> emails without running all the checks (check_mail, check_rcpt...) when
> the mail is submitted to the queue but run them once the queue is
> processed?
>
> The reason for this question is I have a windows email management
> system that sends emails to my SMTP server, it has a hard coded limit
> of 2 minutes to get responses from MAIL and RCPT commands, however
> some addresses take longer than two minutes to validate, therefore the
> windows app crashes. I can't simply run in defer mode and forget the
> checks as the server also accepts emails from the internet.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which OS do you use for your sendmail server?
Does "the client" use fixed IP address to contact your mail server?

Linux & fixed-ip => you can you firewall (iptables) to redirect SMTP
connections from the IP to separate sendmail daemon (or inetd spawned
sendmail) using iptables.
--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
Open-Sendmail: http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/