From: Jim Heckman on
Can ZF alone prove that every totally ordered set has a cofinal
well-ordered subset, or does that require AC? (Typically done by
applying Zorn's Lemma to the set of well-ordered subsets, ordered
by continuation.)

--
Jim Heckman
From: Herman Rubin on
In article <13dc4f7iafujc6c(a)corp.supernews.com>,
Jim Heckman <weu_rznvy-hfrarg(a)lnubb.pbz.invalid> wrote:
>Can ZF alone prove that every totally ordered set has a cofinal
>well-ordered subset, or does that require AC? (Typically done by
>applying Zorn's Lemma to the set of well-ordered subsets, ordered
>by continuation.)

It is at least false in the Mostowski model in which the
universe is linearly ordered, but all well-ordered subsets
of the set of individuals aren finite. In the metamathematical
way of looking at the model, the individuals look like the
rationals.

The rational ordering does hold in the model, but for example
the subset which is the integers does not exist in the model.
hrubin(a)stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
From: Jim Heckman on

On 29-Aug-2007, hrubin(a)odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin)
wrote in message <fb573c$4qve(a)odds.stat.purdue.edu>:

> In article <13dc4f7iafujc6c(a)corp.supernews.com>,
> Jim Heckman <weu_rznvy-hfrarg(a)lnubb.pbz.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Can ZF alone prove that every totally ordered set has a cofinal
> >well-ordered subset, or does that require AC? (Typically done by
> >applying Zorn's Lemma to the set of well-ordered subsets, ordered
> >by continuation.)
>
> It is at least false in the Mostowski model in which the
> universe is linearly ordered, but all well-ordered subsets
> of the set of individuals aren finite. In the metamathematical
> way of looking at the model, the individuals look like the
> rationals.
>
> The rational ordering does hold in the model, but for example
> the subset which is the integers does not exist in the model.

Thanks. I was hoping for something more elementary, though, since I
know next to nothing about model theory. My naive-set-theory
intuition is having trouble seeing how any model of ZF can fail to
have infinite (within the model) well-ordered sets -- starting with
omega.

--
Jim Heckman
From: Butch Malahide on
On Aug 29, 7:40 pm, "Jim Heckman" <rot13(reply-to)@none.invalid>
wrote:
> Can ZF alone prove that every totally ordered set has a cofinal
> well-ordered subset, or does that require AC? (Typically done by
> applying Zorn's Lemma to the set of well-ordered subsets, ordered
> by continuation.)

I'm no expert, but I'd bet that without AC you'd have a hard time
proving even that every set of real numbers (usual ordering) has a
cofinal well-ordered subset.

From: Butch Malahide on
On Sep 2, 2:27 am, "Jim Heckman" <rot13(reply-to)@none.invalid> wrote:
> On 29-Aug-2007, hru...(a)odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin)
> wrote in message <fb573c$4...(a)odds.stat.purdue.edu>:
>

> > In article <13dc4f7iafuj...(a)corp.supernews.com>,
> > Jim Heckman <weu_rznvy-hfr...(a)lnubb.pbz.invalid> wrote:
>
> > >Can ZF alone prove that every totally ordered set has a cofinal
> > >well-ordered subset, or does that require AC? (Typically done by
> > >applying Zorn's Lemma to the set of well-ordered subsets, ordered
> > >by continuation.)
>
> > It is at least false in the Mostowski model in which the
> > universe is linearly ordered, but all well-ordered subsets
> > of the set of individuals aren finite. In the metamathematical
> > way of looking at the model, the individuals look like the
> > rationals.
>
> > The rational ordering does hold in the model, but for example
> > the subset which is the integers does not exist in the model.
>
> Thanks. I was hoping for something more elementary, though, since I
> know next to nothing about model theory. My naive-set-theory
> intuition is having trouble seeing how any model of ZF can fail to
> have infinite (within the model) well-ordered sets -- starting with
> omega.

I believe the models Professor Rubin is referring to are not models of
ZF. They are models of a set theory which, unlike ZF, allows the
existence of so-called individuals (aka atoms or urelements), objects
which are not sets. Omega is an infinite well-ordered set, but it's
not a set of individuals, it's a set of sets.