From: H. Peter Anvin on
This patch implements a cleaned up hypervisor layer, plus cleans up some
of the aspects of both Hank's MS-HyperV patch and the existing VMware
driver. In particular, the MS-HyperV information is private
information, per system, not per CPU, and can thus simply be stored in
an ordinary global variable. This also turns the hypervisor detection
into an information structure instead of just an identifier.

-hpa
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 05/07/2010 04:02 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 03:43:04PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> This patch implements a cleaned up hypervisor layer, plus cleans up some
>> of the aspects of both Hank's MS-HyperV patch and the existing VMware
>> driver. In particular, the MS-HyperV information is private
>> information, per system, not per CPU, and can thus simply be stored in
>> an ordinary global variable. This also turns the hypervisor detection
>> into an information structure instead of just an identifier.
>
> This looks great to me, thanks for doing this work.
>
> As this is a diff on top of my previous patch, do you want me to merge
> it in with it and resend it, or will you?

I was planning to put this on top of your patch as a second commit, just
to preserve history and authorship.

-ha
From: Greg KH on
On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 03:43:04PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> This patch implements a cleaned up hypervisor layer, plus cleans up some
> of the aspects of both Hank's MS-HyperV patch and the existing VMware
> driver. In particular, the MS-HyperV information is private
> information, per system, not per CPU, and can thus simply be stored in
> an ordinary global variable. This also turns the hypervisor detection
> into an information structure instead of just an identifier.

This looks great to me, thanks for doing this work.

As this is a diff on top of my previous patch, do you want me to merge
it in with it and resend it, or will you?

thanks,

greg k-h
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 05/07/2010 04:12 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 04:08:38PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>>
>>> This looks great to me, thanks for doing this work.
>>>
>>> As this is a diff on top of my previous patch, do you want me to merge
>>> it in with it and resend it, or will you?
>>>

>> I was planning to put this on top of your patch as a second commit, just
>> to preserve history and authorship.
>
> Wonderful.
>
> Ah, I just realized that we cut-and-pasted the GPL lines from the vmware
> file, I don't want the "v2 or later" marking on the new file KY added.
> Want me to send an add-on patch to fix that up?

Yes please.

-hpa
From: Greg KH on