From: Joakim Tjernlund on

David Daney <ddaney(a)caviumnetworks.com> wrote on 2010/03/24 19:53:13:

> On 03/24/2010 11:37 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:21, Andrew Morton<akpm(a)linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> >> I don't get it. Why not nuke __BYTE_ORDER altogether and do `#ifdef
> >> __LITTLE_ENDIAN' and `#ifdef __BIG_ENDIAN' everywhere?
> >
> > Because in userspace the convention is that
> > 1. _both_ __LITTLE_ENDIAN and __BIG_ENDIAN are defined,
> > 2. you have to test for e.g. __BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN.
> >

> I have stumbled on this issue as well.
>
> However, consider this:
>
> If you make such a change, then you will start to see:
>
> #if __BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN
>
> appearing in kernel source code. Do we want two different endian
> checking idioms in the kernel? Or would it be just a single idiom, but
> one that is different than the status quo?

From my patch you already see that there some ugliness in header files because
one wants to use them in user space too. I don't think inventing a kernel
specific idiom will by us anything. To keep the confusion down it is
better to just use #if __BYTE_ORDER == __BIG_ENDIAN all over.

> The only time I can see that it makes a difference is if you want to
> share things like driver source code files between in-kernel drivers and
> userspace. A discussion of which, would probably provoke much discussion.

Yes, I stumbled over this when I moved crc32.c to run the test routine
included in there. Took me quite a while to figure out what was wrong
because you don't even get a warning, it just silently breaks.