From: Olive on
Hello,

I am using the emu48 emulator. I have succeeded to find a ROM for the
HP49 (the official flash file converted with a tool available at the
page of emu48). But are they ROM available for the HP50G? I can
download the official firmware from HP but I do not know how to
generate a ROM from that.

Olive

From: TW on
On Jun 7, 7:13 am, Olive <not0read0...(a)yopmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using the emu48 emulator. I have succeeded to find a ROM for the
> HP49 (the official flash file converted with a tool available at the
> page of emu48). But are they ROM available for the HP50G? I can
> download the official firmware from HP but I do not know how to
> generate a ROM from that.
>
> Olive

Just download and install debug4x. Then you'll have the latest, or
near the latest for the 48gx, 49g, 49g+ and 50g.

TW
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/7/2010 8:13 AM, Olive wrote:

> I am using the emu48 emulator. I have succeeded to find a ROM for the
> HP49 (the official flash file converted with a tool available at the
> page of emu48). But are they ROM available for the HP50G? I can
> download the official firmware from HP but I do not know how to
> generate a ROM from that.

All HP49/50 series ROMs through version 2.10
were first compiled with compatibility for all calculators in the series
(49G, 49G+, 50G, and "new 48G" with ARM processor, not original old "48G"),
consisting entirely of HP "Saturn" CPU instructions, also ready for
Emu48, and "Debug4x," which themselves emulate only the "Saturn"
(The most recent Debug4x ROM of course works in Debug4x,
also in EMU48, and can thus also be transferred to an original 49G)

The ".flash" files for 49G, no longer expected to be of interest,
are either not produced or discarded.

Emulator files are also not included with most downloads from HP,
which is interested only in selling calculators,
so I would say that if you want an update for a real 49G,
the best alternatives that I recall coming across myself
are the latest "Emu" version for Debug4x (which may be 2.09)
or BP's modified "Geometry" ROM 2.10-7 (directly available as ".flash")

Version 2.15 is lacking some bit of the original "Saturn" ROM,
and it has been reported that it can't be transferred to a 49G;
however, what's changed, if anything, between 2.10 and 2.15,
besides support for a piece of hardware that can't be used with 49G anyway?

Changes from 2.09 to 2.10 were also quite small,
whereas both "1.18 to 1.19-6" ("unofficial" but much better for 49G)
and from 1.19 to 2.09 or 2.10 are very significant indeed.

Emu48 and calculator roms:
http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/

Debug4x: http://www.debug4x.com/

Note that a "user flash bank" in your old 49G will be converted to a ROM bank
when you update -- see info about 1.19-6 (any more later?)

[r->] [OFF]