From: starwars on
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/030410-rsa-security-
attack.html?hpg1=bn

Amazing! Cracking a 1024-bit RSA key in 100 hours sounds pretty good to
me!

From: Tom St Denis on
On Mar 5, 4:29 am, starwars <nonscrivet...(a)tatooine.homelinux.net>
wrote:
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/030410-rsa-security-
> attack.html?hpg1=bn
>
> Amazing! Cracking a 1024-bit RSA key in 100 hours sounds pretty good to
> me!

It's misleading to think this has anything to do with key size. Of
course they wouldn't make the press if they "merely" broke a 512-bit
key with their technique which is largely akin to punching a guy in
the gut and stealing their wallet.

There have been known various blinding techniques for a while...

Tom
From: Legrandin on
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/030410-rsa-security-
> attack.html?hpg1=bn

Where is the news?

Faults attacks have been known for ages as a quick way to extract
(I would not say "crack") a private key, for any algorithm.

Openssl is sensitive to them. So what? I would never use it in
environments where side-channel attacks are a real threat.

From: Simon Johnson on

> It's misleading to think this has anything to do with key size.  Of
> course they wouldn't make the press if they "merely" broke a 512-bit
> key with their technique which is largely akin to punching a guy in
> the gut and stealing their wallet.

I've heard that people have had success breaking a 8192-bit key that
way.

Punching a guy in the gut, apparently, is rather effective.

Cheers,

Simon.