From: Ken Foust on
I just put in a new disk and I would like to install rvm in
/usr/local/rvm. On my old disk I was able to do this by installing ruby
1.9.2dev and then installing the rvm gem. The install script in rvm
want to put it in my home directory. I did install it there and then
did a mv .rvm /usr/local/rvm and got it over there.

I have tried setting a path in my .profile to no avail. I changed the
addon by wayne to the following which did not help yet
# Load RVM source
if [[ -s "/usr/local/rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] ; then source
"/usr/local/rvm/scripts/rvm" ; fi
# Enable Tab Completion in RVM
[[ -r /usr/local/rvm//scripts/completion ]] && source
/usr/local/rvm/scripts/completion

when I open a new shell is says $rvm_path is not set. rvm cannot
load.

I am trying to avoid installing ruby to /usr/local and trying to keep
all the rubies at /usr/local/rvm/rubies

By chance does anyone out there have a clue as how I can accomplish
this.
I suppose I could install ruby and then the gem and then remove the
install of ruby but this seems a bit trying for what should be a
relative simple installation.

thanks

From: Chuck Remes on

On Jun 10, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Ken Foust wrote:

> I just put in a new disk and I would like to install rvm in
> /usr/local/rvm. On my old disk I was able to do this by installing ruby
> 1.9.2dev and then installing the rvm gem. The install script in rvm
> want to put it in my home directory. I did install it there and then
> did a mv .rvm /usr/local/rvm and got it over there.
>
> I have tried setting a path in my .profile to no avail. I changed the
> addon by wayne to the following which did not help yet
> # Load RVM source
> if [[ -s "/usr/local/rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] ; then source
> "/usr/local/rvm/scripts/rvm" ; fi
> # Enable Tab Completion in RVM
> [[ -r /usr/local/rvm//scripts/completion ]] && source
> /usr/local/rvm/scripts/completion
>
> when I open a new shell is says $rvm_path is not set. rvm cannot
> load.
>
> I am trying to avoid installing ruby to /usr/local and trying to keep
> all the rubies at /usr/local/rvm/rubies
>
> By chance does anyone out there have a clue as how I can accomplish
> this.
> I suppose I could install ruby and then the gem and then remove the
> install of ruby but this seems a bit trying for what should be a
> relative simple installation.

I don't have a full answer for your problem, but I do have a suggestion.

There is no need to install 1.9.2-dev (or any ruby) to get rvm installed. OSX ships with a ruby interpreter already installed in /usr/bin which can be used for installs.

Also, the recommended way to install rvm is via git. See http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/.

If you want to avoid installing it, there is also a tarball available for installation. Neither git nor the tarball method require any ruby interpreter at all.

cr

From: Ken Foust on
Chuck Remes wrote:
thanks chuck,

The git does not seem to work. I downloaded the tarball but it still
want to install in my home directory.
do you know if I can install with a flag to usr/local.

I suppose I could use usr/bin to install the gem but then i believe it
would still go to my home dir or usr/bin.

if I could just figure out how to set the rvm_path to usr/local all this
my work. enclosed is my .profile which does not get it done

#export
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:usr/local/bin/ruby:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/opt/subversion/bin:$PATH"
#export
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin/$GROOVY_HOME/bin:$GRAILS_HOME/#bin:opt/subversion/bin:$PATH"

#export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home
#export GROOVY_HOME=/usr/local/groovy-1.7.2
#export GRAILS_HOME=/usr/local/grails-1.3.1

#//export PATH=$GROOVY_HOME/bin:$GRAILS_HOME/bin:$PATH
export
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/opt/subversion/bin:$PATH"

#export
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/rvm/scripts:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/opt/subversion/bin:$PATH"

From: Chuck Remes on

On Jun 10, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Ken Foust wrote:

> Chuck Remes wrote:
> thanks chuck,
>
> The git does not seem to work. I downloaded the tarball but it still
> want to install in my home directory.
> do you know if I can install with a flag to usr/local.
>
> I suppose I could use usr/bin to install the gem but then i believe it
> would still go to my home dir or usr/bin.
>
> if I could just figure out how to set the rvm_path to usr/local all this
> my work. enclosed is my .profile which does not get it done

Try asking for help in the #rvm irc channel on freenode.net. The author of rvm hangs out in there all day and can probably help. There are dozens of other helpful folks in there too.

cr

From: Ken Foust on
Ken Foust wrote:
well I just bit the bullet and put it in my home directory.
so it works and all is well

thanks