From: unruh on
I have a system in which I have two disks united into a raid 1 , and one
of the disks seems to be starting to go bad ( a bunch of files have I/O
errors on them.
How do I deterimine which of the two disks is going bad so I can replace
it? Fortunately I have a backup of the stuff (well most of it) so I
could reconstruct if necessary, but I do not want to chuck two disks if
only one is bad.

These are the kinds of errors I am getting.

rsync: read errors mapping
"/local/images/jan31/jan31exp1/freq45img2225.pgm": Input/output error (5)
on about 20 files.
These disks are crucial for experiments we are running.

From: unruh on
On 2010-04-02, unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> I have a system in which I have two disks united into a raid 1 , and one

Sorry, that was raid0 not raid1.

From: philo on
unruh wrote:
> On 2010-04-02, unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> I have a system in which I have two disks united into a raid 1 , and one
>
> Sorry, that was raid0 not raid1.
>
>> of the disks seems to be starting to go bad ( a bunch of files have I/O
>> errors on them.
>> How do I deterimine which of the two disks is going bad so I can replace
>> it? Fortunately I have a backup of the stuff (well most of it) so I
>> could reconstruct if necessary, but I do not want to chuck two disks if
>> only one is bad.
>>
>> These are the kinds of errors I am getting.
>>
>> rsync: read errors mapping
>> "/local/images/jan31/jan31exp1/freq45img2225.pgm": Input/output error (5)
>> on about 20 files.
>> These disks are crucial for experiments we are running.

Don't break the raid

but run the mfg's diagnostic on one drive at a time
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-04-02, unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> I have a system in which I have two disks united into a raid 1 , and one
> of the disks seems to be starting to go bad ( a bunch of files have I/O
> errors on them.
> How do I deterimine which of the two disks is going bad so I can replace
> it? Fortunately I have a backup of the stuff (well most of it) so I
> could reconstruct if necessary, but I do not want to chuck two disks if
> only one is bad.

dmesg

From: Giampiero Gabbiani on
If you have I/O errors on file on a raid1 partition it's likely that you
have problems on the file system and NOT on the raid array.

Are you using SOFTWARE raid (i.e. managed through mdadm) ?
If so, doing a 'cat /proc/mdstat' you should see what disk is in failure.

If not and if you are using a HW (or fake / ROM) raid you should see the
array situation from the BIOS.

Regards
Giampiero