From: Peter Foldes on
Same answer as to your above post

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: FromTheRafters on
"Dave U. Random" <anonymous(a)anonymitaet-im-inter.net> wrote in message
> (Raid/Dustin Cook proves again that he does not write and spread
> viruses
> simply for intellectual curiosity. In this post he offers his viruses
> to other virus writers/spreaders so they can spread them. His
> sociopathic lack of a conscience and the skewed reasoning resulting
> from
> his ugly sickness do not see this as "spreading".

Because it isn't. Spreading is what viruses do. For instance it can be
said that a virus can have a polymorphic spreading mode. I would say
"distributing" or "sharing" fits better. For instance, source code
doesn't spread but gets distributed or shared. Of course accusing RAiD
of sharing just doesn't have the same "bite" as accusing him of
spreading malware.

Once the author relinquishes sole custody of the code, anyone with
malice (and possession) can unleash it upon the world. I think the
author must share in the responsibility....having written it.

From: FromTheRafters on
"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>
>> "Dave U. Random" <anonymous(a)anonymitaet-im-inter.net> wrote in
>> message
>>> (Raid/Dustin Cook proves again that he does not write and spread
>>> viruses
>>> simply for intellectual curiosity. In this post he offers his
>>> viruses
>>> to other virus writers/spreaders so they can spread them. His
>>> sociopathic lack of a conscience and the skewed reasoning resulting
>>> from
>>> his ugly sickness do not see this as "spreading".
>>
>> Because it isn't. Spreading is what viruses do. For instance it can
>> be
>> said that a virus can have a polymorphic spreading mode. I would say
>> "distributing" or "sharing" fits better. For instance, source code
>> doesn't spread but gets distributed or shared. Of course accusing
>> RAiD
>> of sharing just doesn't have the same "bite" as accusing him of
>> spreading malware.
>
> Sure doesn't. Sharing is certainly not a trait of a sociopath; and
> heaven
> forbid mr anonymous posterboy is wrong, right? :)
>
>> Once the author relinquishes sole custody of the code, anyone with
>> malice (and possession) can unleash it upon the world. I think the
>> author must share in the responsibility....having written it.
>
> I agree. However, to give me the full credit for it, isn't exactly
> fair;
> people are being cheated out of the credit they deserve. LoL.

Especially when sharing with entities that should be taking great care
in handling samples.

From: James Egan on

On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:59:56 -0400, "FromTheRafters"
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>I think the
>author must share in the responsibility....having written it.

And so do I. As far as I'm concerned, making the stuff freely
available to anyone who wanted it was just a method of spreading which
exploited a loophole in the law to avoid recrimination.

Jim

From: FromTheRafters on
"James Egan" <jegan(a)jegan.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:59:56 -0400, "FromTheRafters"
> <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>I think the
>>author must share in the responsibility....having written it.
>
> And so do I. As far as I'm concerned, making the stuff freely
> available to anyone who wanted it was just a method of spreading which
> exploited a loophole in the law to avoid recrimination.

I'm reminded of an episode of "The Simpsons" where Bart sets in motion
things that result in an offense of some sort. He then exclaims "*I*
didn't do it!".

Art imitates life.

Back to the "spreading" as opposed to "distributing" - consider a worm
program. Often instead of just executing it and allowing it to spread,
it gets distributed as widely as possible (spammed, or published, or
posted and/or artificially made a popular search result) so as to have
multiple starting points. Spreading is a function of the program, and
distributing it is an outside function (possibly another program).