From: H.J. Blok on
Hello,

I've a question about Rails 3 Engines. I'm looking everywhere for good
documentation on this subject, but didn't find it.

I'm trying to create a mountable app (embedding a Rails application in
another Rails application). Both the 'base' application and the
'embedded' application are created with rails3.0.0.rc. To behave as
Engine the 'embedded' application has the following code in
'lib/my_engine.rb':

# lib/my_engine.rb
require "my_engine"
require "rails"

module MyEngine
class Engine < Rails::Engine
end
end

In the Gemfile of the 'base' application I've included MyEngine as a
gem, using the path directive (to be able to change code without
rebuilding the gem).

# Gemfile
gem "my_engine", :path => "../my_engine"

When I try to start the 'base' application it raises a NameError:

uninitialized constant MyEngine::Application (NameError)

Does anybody have good (Rails3 RC based) documentation on how to create
a mountable app?

And what would be the 'Rails-way' of solving this problem?

Kind regards,

Harm-Jan

From: H.J. Blok on
sorry wrong forum....

From: Luis Lavena on
On Aug 4, 8:33 am, "H.J. Blok" <hj.b...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a question about Rails 3 Engines. I'm looking everywhere for good
> documentation on this subject, but didn't find it.
>
> I'm trying to create a mountable app (embedding a Rails application in
> another Rails application). Both the 'base' application and the
> 'embedded' application are created with rails3.0.0.rc. To behave as
> Engine the 'embedded' application has the following code in
> 'lib/my_engine.rb':
>
> # lib/my_engine.rb
> require "my_engine"
> require "rails"
>
> module MyEngine
>   class Engine < Rails::Engine
>   end
> end
>
> In the Gemfile of the 'base' application I've included MyEngine as a
> gem, using the path directive (to be able to change code without
> rebuilding the gem).
>
> # Gemfile
> gem "my_engine", :path => "../my_engine"
>
> When I try to start the 'base' application it raises a NameError:
>
> uninitialized constant MyEngine::Application (NameError)
>
> Does anybody have good (Rails3 RC based) documentation on how to create
> a mountable app?
>
> And what would be the 'Rails-way' of solving this problem?

Please look at enginex:

http://github.com/josevalim/enginex

It creates an engine template for rails 3, generate one and take a
look comparing with your version.

Indeed there is no plenty of documentation, so you should inspect by
example.

Also, you will get more help and better responses in a Ruby on Rails
group/mailing list, like ror talk:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
From: H.J. Blok on
Luis Lavena wrote:

> Please look at enginex:
>
> http://github.com/josevalim/enginex
>
> It creates an engine template for rails 3, generate one and take a
> look comparing with your version.

Thanks, I'll try generating a Engine using enginex and compare it with
my version.

> Also, you will get more help and better responses in a Ruby on Rails
> group/mailing list, like ror talk:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

I already did (forgot to select Rails Forum while creating this topic).

HJ

From: H.J. Blok on
H.J. Blok wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>
>> Please look at enginex:
>>
>> http://github.com/josevalim/enginex
>>
>> It creates an engine template for rails 3, generate one and take a
>> look comparing with your version.
>
> Thanks, I'll try generating a Engine using enginex and compare it with
> my version.

Do you know how to use enginex? I've tried, but there is no
documentation on usage (other than enginex NAME).

HJ

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Ruby PRAWN PDF