From: Guy on
What funcrion can I use in a query to accomplish a random sort?

Guy

From: Jerry Whittle on
SELECT asa.*
FROM asa
WHERE (((randomizer())=0))
ORDER BY Rnd(IsNull([asa].[AsaID])*0+1);

Change asa to your table name.

For the AsaID field, use a number field. An autonumber field would be best.

--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:38:52 -0500, "Guy" <gdelaney(a)suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

>What funcrion can I use in a query to accomplish a random sort?
>
>Guy

You can use help from a little VBA. Put this little function into a Module:

Public Function RndNum(vIgnore As Variant) As Double
Static bRnd As Boolean
If Not bRnd Then
'Initialize the random number generator once only
bRnd = True
Randomize
End If
RndNum = Rnd()
End Function

Then add a calculated field to your Query by typing

Shuffle: RndNum([fieldname])

in a vacant Field cell, where [fieldname] is any field in
your table - this forces Access to give a different random
number for each record.

Sort the query by Shuffle.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]