From: Craig Powers on
steve wrote:
> On Nov 23, 5:33 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:

>>> Your claims are vague and are unsubstantiated.
>>> You have not said anything about about Marsaglia's specific
>>> 32-bit and 64-bit generators.
>>> Nor have you suppled any information about the 32-bit
>>> generators that you claim to have noticed.
>> Do a literature search. I published the analysis.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nick Maclaren.
>
> Is it this paper?
>
> Title: Cryptographic pseudo-random numbers in simulation
> Author: Maclaren, N.
> Source: Cambridge Security Workshop. Fast Software Encryption.
> 1994. p. 185-90
>
> It's unavailable from the Univ. of Washington library? Do you
> have a pdf that is accessible?

If you have access to the UW library, do you also have access to
Interlibrary Loan? These days, they'll deliver electronically via pdf.
From: frank on
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:31:39 +0000, nmm1 wrote:

> A Limit on the Usable Length of a Pseudorandom Number Sequence (Journal
> of Statistical Computation and Simulation (1992), vol.\ 42, pp.\ 47-54).
>
> Regrettably, I have only offprints, and I managed to bury them in a
> previous office move. SOMEWHERE I will have the source of the paper! I
> will take a look tonight.
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

I hope it turns up. It sounds pretty interesting. I haven't had good
library access since Twin Cities, where you can be Joe Anybody and they
let you export liberally from the local university libraries. They
shipped in an anthology of Gauss's works from the University of
Wisconsin. No charge, but I always paid my late fees and created them as
a matter of civic pride.
--
frank

"Guns: yes, they are harmful."
From: robin on
<nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:heeddb$h6f$1(a)soup.linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk...
| In article <168fdf4b-0398-451f-915a-996d550afbce(a)b36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
| steve <kargls(a)comcast.net> wrote:
| >> >|

| >> Do a literature search. =A0I published the analysis.
| >
| >Is it this paper?
| >
| >Title: Cryptographic pseudo-random numbers in simulation
| >Author: Maclaren, N.
| >Source: Cambridge Security Workshop. Fast Software Encryption.
| > 1994. p. 185-90
|
| No. It's this one:
|
| A Limit on the Usable Length of a Pseudorandom Number Sequence (Journal of
| Statistical Computation and Simulation (1992), vol.\ 42, pp.\ 47-54).

That predates ALL of George Marsaglia's RNGs published this century, right !!!
Including those to which I referred, published in this very ng.

From: robin on
<nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:hee304$7r9$1(a)soup.linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk...
| In article <yQuOm.56946$ze1.52594(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
| robin <robin_v(a)bigpond.com> wrote:
| >|
> [...]
| >|
| >| Sigh. I am not talking about the period, but the precision, and
| >| the discreteness starts to become a serious problem if any one
| >| simulation uses more than about a million numbers.
| >
| >Your claims are vague and are unsubstantiated.
| >You have not said anything about about Marsaglia's specific
| >32-bit and 64-bit generators.
| >Nor have you suppled any information about the 32-bit
| >generators that you claim to have noticed.
|
| Do a literature search. I published the analysis.

You do it. It's your responsibility.
You are the one making the vague and unsubstantiated claims.

From: steve on
On Nov 23, 5:27 pm, Craig Powers <craig.pow...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> steve wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 5:33 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:

> >> Do a literature search.  I published the analysis.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Nick Maclaren.
>
> > Is it this paper?
>
> > Title:     Cryptographic pseudo-random numbers in simulation
> > Author:    Maclaren, N.
> > Source:    Cambridge Security Workshop. Fast Software Encryption.
> >         1994. p. 185-90
>
> > It's unavailable from the Univ. of Washington library?  Do you
> > have a pdf that is accessible?
>
> If you have access to the UW library, do you also have access to
> Interlibrary Loan?  These days, they'll deliver electronically via pdf.

Yes, of course, I have access to the library. Unfortunately, Nick did
not
give a proper citation to his paper. The databases of scientific
papers
I searched found 2 papers by Nick; neither of which is the paper in
question. Now, that Nick gave a citation, I've found that the UW
math library has the journal.

--
steve
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last