From: GaryScott on
On Jun 28, 5:28 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Jason Riedy <ja...(a)acm.org> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > Here's one for you, which I cannot find but expect is not specified: Do
> > you happen to know if the statistical interplay between random numbers
> > and images are specified?  I haven't found anything, and I suspect the
> > issue was either ignored or so contentious that it wasn't included.
>
> (from Fortran 2003)
>
>   "Returns one pseudorandom number or an array of pseudorandom
>    numbers from the uniform distribution over the range 0  x < 1."

snip

My only issue would be that it should have been more accurately named
such as pseudorandom or PRAND. I would like a "truly" (or whatever
the best you can get is) random sequence generator.

From: Dan Nagle on
Hello,

On 2010-06-28 18:21:07 -0400, nospam(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) said:

> My off-hand guess is that nobody even thought about it, but that's not
> based on any real data. It is just the kind of thing I'd have expected
> to get overlooked.

There was a proposal for adding a STREAM=
to the rng stuff. It wasn't done because
there was too much to do compared with the number
of folks to do things. I'm not sure whether
there was a consensus on the design,
but that's another matter. It would likely
have been close to what UPC does, if that
was at all agreeable to the committee.

It may still make it into the "More Coarrays" TR
that will come along in a year or so.

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
GaryScott <garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
(snip on RANDOM_NUMBER)

> snip

> My only issue would be that it should have been more accurately named
> such as pseudorandom or PRAND. I would like a "truly" (or whatever
> the best you can get is) random sequence generator.

Some years ago Intel had a hardware random number generator
based on a noise source and logic to remove any bias that
otherwise would appear. I believe it was in a support chip
for one of the Pentium families, not in the processor itself.

In any case, it seems to have been forgotten by now.

I would guess that the standard wouldn't require a hardware
generator, as not all systems would be able to support it.

It seems, though, that since the standard specifies pseudo-random
that a hardware noise source generator couldn't be used.

-- glen
From: Richard Maine on
GaryScott <garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I would like a "truly" (or whatever
> the best you can get is) random sequence generator.

That would be a bit out of line for a software standard. The question of
what "truly random" means is perhaps as much philosophical as anything,
but most definitions would rule out anything implemented purely in
software. If it is generated purely by software, then is is
pseudorandom, pretty much by definition. Sounds to me like you are
talking about a spec for a hardware peripheral. Don't hold your breath
for anything even vaguely close in the Fortran standard.

I can't interpret your "or whatever the best you can get is". Maybe that
means you aren't really talking about a hardware peripheral, but instead
are asking for a "good quality" pseudorandom generator, that being all
you can do in software. But as to exactly what the "best" one would
be...If you want the Fortran standard to specify that the best one be
used, you'd first have to get agreement on exactly what would define
such a "best" one. Methinks you are in the wrong group for that (and
that you aren't going to get agreement on a definitive answer anytime
soon.)

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Phillip Helbig---undress to reply on
In article <1jksya9.5pgpx31gjknhqN%nospam(a)see.signature>,
nospam(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) writes:

> I haven't been directly involved with much after f2003, and in
> particular, with the coarray stuff. (In fact, until I saw your later
> mention of coarrays, I didn't pick up what you were talking about when
> you said "images". Nothing wrong with your usage; I just haven't been
> imersed in it enough that the term makes coarray stuff imediately pop
> into my mind. My initial reaction was to wonder why anyone thought the
> Fortran standard would say anything about picture images.)

I was thinking of executables.