From: Bret Cahill on
http://www.usc.edu/dept/civil_eng/Earthquake_eng/Selected_Publ/PDF/ICS_Paper_II.pdf

Two interesting questions:

Why aren't they instrumenting bldgs today with relatively cheap MEM
accelerometers?

Who decided to spend the equivalent of 200K on force balance
accelerometers and other electronics 40 years ago for a public bldg
out in the desert?

Bret Cahill

From: Benj on
On Jun 21, 11:26 pm, Bret Cahill <BretCah...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> http://www.usc.edu/dept/civil_eng/Earthquake_eng/Selected_Publ/PDF/IC...
>
> Two interesting questions:
>
> Why aren't they instrumenting bldgs today with relatively cheap MEM
> accelerometers?
>
> Who decided to spend the equivalent of 200K on force balance
> accelerometers and other electronics 40 years ago for a public bldg
> out in the desert?
>
> Bret Cahill

Hey, it's in Kalifornia! They've got money to burn out there. They not
only give it to our poor but they just encourage ANYBODY from ANYWHERE
to walk in and take it from the rich Gringos. Consider the money spent
on instrumenting some community building as some that wasn't wasted
for a change.
From: jimp on
In sci.physics Bret Cahill <BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> http://www.usc.edu/dept/civil_eng/Earthquake_eng/Selected_Publ/PDF/ICS_Paper_II.pdf
>
> Two interesting questions:
>
> Why aren't they instrumenting bldgs today with relatively cheap MEM
> accelerometers?

Because it is a dumb idea on many, many levels.

> Who decided to spend the equivalent of 200K on force balance
> accelerometers and other electronics 40 years ago for a public bldg
> out in the desert?

If you had read your own link you would know that.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
From: Uncle Al on
Bret Cahill wrote:

> http://www.usc.edu/dept/civil_eng/Earthquake_eng/Selected_Publ/PDF/ICS_Paper_II.pdf
>
> Two interesting questions:
>
> Why aren't they instrumenting bldgs today with relatively cheap MEM
> accelerometers?
>
> Who decided to spend the equivalent of 200K on force balance
> accelerometers and other electronics 40 years ago for a public bldg

1) Parkfield, CA
2) Caltech's Millikan Library.

Every time Southern California shakes a Caltech Earth Sciences grad
student writes his PhD.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
From: Mark Thorson on
Uncle Al wrote:

> Bret Cahill wrote:
> >
> > http://www.usc.edu/dept/civil_eng/Earthquake_eng/Selected_Publ/PDF/ICS_Paper_II.pdf
> >
> > Two interesting questions:
> >
> > Why aren't they instrumenting bldgs today with relatively cheap MEM
> > accelerometers?
> >
> > Who decided to spend the equivalent of 200K on force balance
> > accelerometers and other electronics 40 years ago for a public bldg
>
> 1) Parkfield, CA
> 2) Caltech's Millikan Library.
>
> Every time Southern California shakes a Caltech Earth Sciences grad
> student writes his PhD.

In the 1970's, there was a lot of concern over the
so-called Palmdale Bulge. Trouble is, it now appears
the bulge never existed.

http://www.kilty.com/bulge.htm