From: adacrypt on
..

All cryptography for thousands of years has been encapsulation
cryptography. The resources of both cryptographers and cryptanalysts
of the day were bounded by the limitations of human intelligence and
human endeavour, long-hand computational methods were de rigueur,
there were no mechanical computers worth talking about in
cryptography.

For all that cryptanalysts were never far behind the cryptographers
in breaking codes and ciphers down through the centuries.

All that changed however with the advent of computers when
cryptography became number-theoretic round about the 1970’s. The
frontiers of computational strength were expanded enormously by the
computers and although cryptographers were slow to avail of this
initially the industry has caught up with itself now and is addressing
number-theoretic cryptography properly today.

Although cryptanalysts and cryptographers are still neck and neck in
the race for supremacy the industry has clearly become computer-
dependent over their heads and the goal posts now are dictated by what
the computer industry may come up with in the way of new powerful
computers that will enable brute forcing of the encapsulation ciphers
currently being used by the secure communications industry.

The only antidote to this is to stop using encapsulation cryptography
and go over to the one-way trapdoor (mutual database cryptography)
ciphers that I am advocating –
This requires no hard sell to anyone with half an ounce of brains –
promoting this obvious change is simply pushing against an open
door.

This is the most profound analysis of modern cryptography that you
will ever read. My cryptography disables brute forcing in
cryptography for evermore and makes all cryptography independent of
computer power once again in the process. - adacrypt.
From: WTShaw on
On May 4, 5:45 am, adacrypt <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> .
>
> All cryptography for thousands of years has been encapsulation
> cryptography.  The resources of both cryptographers and cryptanalysts
> of the day were bounded by the limitations of human intelligence and
> human endeavour, long-hand computational methods were de rigueur,
> there were no mechanical computers worth talking about in
> cryptography.
>
>  For all that cryptanalysts were never far behind the cryptographers
> in breaking codes and ciphers down through the centuries.
>
> All that changed however with the advent of computers when
> cryptography became number-theoretic round about the 1970’s.  The
> frontiers of computational strength were expanded enormously by the
> computers and although cryptographers were slow to avail of this
> initially the industry has caught up with itself now and is addressing
> number-theoretic cryptography properly today.
>
> Although cryptanalysts and cryptographers are still neck and neck in
> the race for supremacy the industry has clearly become computer-
> dependent over their heads and the goal posts now are dictated by what
> the computer industry may come up with in the way of new powerful
> computers that will enable brute forcing of the encapsulation ciphers
> currently being used by the secure communications industry.
>
> The only antidote to this is to stop using encapsulation cryptography
> and go over to the one-way trapdoor (mutual database cryptography)
> ciphers that I am advocating –
> This requires no hard sell to anyone with half an ounce of brains –
> promoting this obvious change is simply pushing against an open
> door.
>
> This is the most profound analysis of modern cryptography that you
> will ever read.  My cryptography disables brute forcing in
> cryptography for evermore and makes all cryptography independent of
> computer power once again in the process. - adacrypt.

This conclusion is not good as there are algorithms that cannot be
brute forced as insufficient data will make them infeasible to attack
exactly as Shannon suggested. People doing short-sighted encryption
is no excuse for reasoning that you have the only and best answer
because your answer is neither the only positive one not the best;
This latest bright idea is dim by example based on contrary evidence,
just logic not speculation.

Keep trying but please look above your shoe laces. Also, I for one
even look beyond the popular Bag'OWind hypothetical hysteria that
computers will stay sufficiently slow to allow longer and longer
"modern cipher keys" to be good for x number of years past each
predictable gulp.

Try using mutual data based encryption in marginal deep-space
communications.
From: Gordon Burditt on
>The only antidote to this is to stop using encapsulation cryptography
>and go over to the one-way trapdoor (mutual database cryptography)
>ciphers that I am advocating �
>This requires no hard sell to anyone with half an ounce of brains �
>promoting this obvious change is simply pushing against an open
>door.

The ciphers you are advocating have enormous administrative problems.
You haven't addressed that problem at all. No one with half a brain
is going to take seriously a cipher with the disadvantages:

- You can only decrypt a message once.
- If messages are lost, corrupted, duplicated, or arrive out of order
and the recipient tries to decrypt a message out of order, the
communication channel is now screwed up and useless. And the sender
has no way to know this and the recipient may have no way to tell him.
- It requires a secure channel to be used on a moment's notice to
un-screw-up communications (why not just USE it instead?)
- There's no way to tell which communication channel the message belongs to.
Making an error gets the communication channel you tried out of sync.
- If the enemy sends just about *anything* that looks like
a message, and the recipient tries to decrypt it, the enemy has
sucessfully shut off communications in a denial-of-service attack.

RSA or RSA-with-symmetric-session-key has none of these problems.

For much the same reason, no one is going to accept even a
million-miles-a-gallon car with the restrictions:

- The fuel has to be manufactured for THAT specific car, and that
takes 3 months.
- Fuel explodes if it remains unused for half an hour after manufacture.
- You have to give the car 5 hour advance notice of left turns and
having to stop.

From: Bruce Stephens on
adacrypt <austin.obyrne(a)hotmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Although cryptanalysts and cryptographers are still neck and neck in
> the race for supremacy

Evidence?

> the industry has clearly become computer- dependent over their heads
> and the goal posts now are dictated by what the computer industry may
> come up with in the way of new powerful computers that will enable
> brute forcing of the encapsulation ciphers currently being used by the
> secure communications industry.

Apart from you, who thinks that? Do you know anybody anywhere in the
world (apart from science-fiction authors) who's worried about brute
force attacks against (say) 128-bit AES?

[...]

From: WTShaw on
On May 4, 4:32 pm, Bruce Stephens <bruce+use...(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> adacrypt <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > Although cryptanalysts and cryptographers are still neck and neck in
> > the race for supremacy
>
> Evidence?
>
> > the industry has clearly become computer- dependent over their heads
> > and the goal posts now are dictated by what the computer industry may
> > come up with in the way of new powerful computers that will enable
> > brute forcing of the encapsulation ciphers currently being used by the
> > secure communications industry.
>
> Apart from you, who thinks that?  Do you know anybody anywhere in the
> world (apart from science-fiction authors) who's worried about brute
> force attacks against (say) 128-bit AES?
>
> [...]

I'm not "worried" about AES but it does seem rather a lottery problem
in which guessing can actually work. The characteristic of a cipher
that can have a solution confirmed with a wee amount of characters is
however most short-sighted when other alternatives that are much
stronger than AES and a longer intercity are preferable. Ciphers with
extreme variations in key lengths, all of which work, make strength
selectable if there is no clear clue as to the selection. Then, there
is the AES key management problem where rather a cottage industry has
already cropped up.