From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 12:49 +0200, Andre Polykanine wrote:

> Hello Ashley,
>
> And if the site is full of that code?)) I think it's worth to learn
> what's really the reason of the fact that it doesn't work. Besides
> that, it's more readable for me.
> And the right thing that was said here is the following: check the
> php.ini settings and change them if possible.

If the site is full of that code I'd make a start on replacing it. A
simple find/replace will work in cases like this.

I try to write my code so that I don't have to make unnecessary changes
to my php.ini. For example, what if I don't have access to my php.ini
and can't set a directive in my .htaccess file? What if I'm sharing my
code with someone? What if I need to work with outputting XML headers?
All of these factors I think outweigh any gains I would get from short
tags.

As for readability, I tend to use a text editor with syntax highlighting
which makes my code readable.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk