From: dpb on
Eduardo wrote:

> In other words: how to better index an array, with it's location in
> memory or with the number of item it is?

As everybody else has been saying, all depends on the situation.

Sometimes one, sometimes another is better and it is not possible to
generalize beyond that to any meaningful definition of "better".

That's the point.

From: dpb on
dpb wrote:
> Eduardo wrote:
>
>> In other words: how to better index an array, with it's location in
>> memory or with the number of item it is?
>
> As everybody else has been saying, all depends on the situation.

That of course, is at the source code level.

Either will be translated to 0-based offsets in implementation,
universally "under the hood".

From: Eduardo on
> The job of a
> programmer is to bridge the gap between what the hardware wants and what the
> human using the hardware wants.

OK, but the language could help a litle more to the programmer to do the
job.

> It really hasn't been an issue for a
> programmer to give the system a zero, but give the user a one.

It's not a "problem", it's an additional task to do the count in the
mind when programming (0 means 1, 1 means 2, 2 means 3) that could be
avoided.
From: Eduardo on
Schmidt escribi�:

> E.g. in a selfwritten "listbox" or something like that, where you
> would have to calculate the Index-Offset into e.g. a String-
> Array that holds your ListView-Lines you want to render
> for example in ownerdraw-routines.

Yep, the "issue" is too much spread.
Also the first element of a listbox, etc, should be indexed with 1 and
not 0.
But that is too much to ask to change now.
From: Schmidt on

"Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:hbage9$805$1(a)aioe.org...
> Schmidt escribi�:
>
> > E.g. in a selfwritten "listbox" or something like that, where you
> > would have to calculate the Index-Offset into e.g. a String-
> > Array that holds your ListView-Lines you want to render
> > for example in ownerdraw-routines.
>
> Yep, the "issue" is too much spread.
> Also the first element of a listbox, etc, should be indexed
> with 1 and not 0.
> But that is too much to ask to change now.

But that was not, what I meant to demonstrate.
It would be no problem, to hand out OneBased-
Indexes at the Property-Level to a consumer
of such a class (by simply adding/substracting the
1 there). But then the consumers of Controls and
Classes are usually developers themselfes (so, the
zerobased handling would again make sense, also
in the Interface-usage of such Developer-Components).

What I simply meant was, that Zero-based indexing
(or general zerobased-OffsetHandling) matches perfectly
with (integer) math-operations - without forcing
you, to include extra-adding/substracting with respects to
"unnatural" onebased-offsets or indexes "every now and then"
in most of your "inner routines" which "implement something".

Olaf

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Array of pointers