From: hesaigo999ca on

i understand the third party tools, and even using profiler in certain
instances,
but for myself I need to track the user activities of the db, per
login/user and all the info is in those ldf files. I need to
extrapolate the info for reports for the boss. I cant use log explorer
in our app, although I wonder if i can link unto one of their dlls or
something...as well profiler only works when it is running....
and again i would have to link into it via dll i think....

is there not some way (lumigent figured it out) to get the data in
readable and usable form

--
hesaigo999ca
hesaigo999ca's Profile: http://www.dbtalk.net/m759

From: Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP] on
> is there not some way (lumigent figured it out) to get the data in
> readable and usable form

There is no easy way. And the cost in time and effort on your part will
probably be more than 10x the cost of the license.

Why do the work when someone else has done it for you? Do you really think
it will be cheaper in the long run? Do you really think you will magically
avoid all the errors and problems and difficulties they encountered along
the way? What will your boss think when you tell him you avoided spending
$X on a license to spend $YYY worth of your time?

From: Erland Sommarskog on
hesaigo999ca (hesaigo999ca.2df7a0(a)no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au) writes:
> is there not some way (lumigent figured it out) to get the data in
> readable and usable form

Yes, they figured it out. Rumour has it that the lead engineer for
Log Explorer, spent one year to figure out the format.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at