From: Greg Russell on
In news:2akap5tcm4u8avgb62nhjpu8lb4du2c4b4(a)4ax.com,
Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com> typed:

> If I dump Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) how do I replace Windows Media
> Center functionality (that my family truly enjoys) from within any
> Linux distro? Hmm? Huh? Well..c'mon!! There isn't anything remotely
> comparable in function, look and feel.

Your childish rant is laughable ... http://ivtvdriver.org with a Hauppauge
capture card, http://kinodv.org (for non-linear editing) and
http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net (for DVD authoring) provide far more
functionality and productive creativity than WMC. There are several others
as well, but I don't use them and so can't comment

One can edit and work with any media formats imaginable, and export to any
other as desired. mov, flv, rm, mpg[24], iee1394, dv, avi, yuv, ntsc, pal,
wsvqa, smk, sdp, sol, thp, truehd, rl2, rpl, nut, ogg, oma, mpc, mm, mvi,
mulaw, eac3, and dozens of other media formats, most of which I'd bet you
and your beloved WMC never even heard of before.

Not only that, but the opensource software can arbitrarily crop, insert PIP,
sample at any desired frequency, digitally enhance and far more.

I've worked with them all (including WMC, Movie Maker, etc) and that's what
makes your childish rant so laughable ... you don't even know what you're
talking about when you criticize the freely-available Linux/Unix
applications, many of which are available as precompiled packages within the
various distributions, and all are available as free, open-source code
that's simple to compile with the free GNU compiler.

Of course your beloved M$ provides a free compiler for its open-source free
of cost code? Every Unix/Lix distribution does.

Go ahead and rant some more, it's pure pleasure watching you make an
ignorant fool of yourself.

From: Gordon Darling on
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:31:22 -0800, Greg Russell wrote:

<snip>

> Of course your beloved M$ provides a free compiler for its open-source
> free of cost code? Every Unix/Lix distribution does.
>
> Go ahead and rant some more, it's pure pleasure watching you make an
> ignorant fool of yourself.

You're making it too easy. Too much information!

We need suckers like Bad Boy drinking the Kool Aid to fund our retirement
plans. :-)

Regards
Gordon

--
ox·y·mo·ron
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons
From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:31:22 -0800, "Greg Russell" <grussell(a)invalid.com>
wrote:

>In news:2akap5tcm4u8avgb62nhjpu8lb4du2c4b4(a)4ax.com,
>Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> If I dump Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) how do I replace Windows Media
>> Center functionality (that my family truly enjoys) from within any
>> Linux distro? Hmm? Huh? Well..c'mon!! There isn't anything remotely
>> comparable in function, look and feel.
>
>Your childish rant is laughable ... http://ivtvdriver.org with a Hauppauge
>capture card, http://kinodv.org (for non-linear editing) and
>http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net (for DVD authoring) provide far more
>functionality and productive creativity than WMC. There are several others
>as well, but I don't use them and so can't comment
>
>One can edit and work with any media formats imaginable, and export to any
>other as desired. mov, flv, rm, mpg[24], iee1394, dv, avi, yuv, ntsc, pal,
>wsvqa, smk, sdp, sol, thp, truehd, rl2, rpl, nut, ogg, oma, mpc, mm, mvi,
>mulaw, eac3, and dozens of other media formats, most of which I'd bet you
>and your beloved WMC never even heard of before.
>
>Not only that, but the opensource software can arbitrarily crop, insert PIP,
>sample at any desired frequency, digitally enhance and far more.
>
>I've worked with them all (including WMC, Movie Maker, etc) and that's what
>makes your childish rant so laughable ... you don't even know what you're
>talking about when you criticize the freely-available Linux/Unix
>applications, many of which are available as precompiled packages within the
>various distributions, and all are available as free, open-source code
>that's simple to compile with the free GNU compiler.
>
>Of course your beloved M$ provides a free compiler for its open-source free
>of cost code? Every Unix/Lix distribution does.
>
>Go ahead and rant some more, it's pure pleasure watching you make an
>ignorant fool of yourself.

Gee thank you!! Sounds simple enough to me!

So buy a video capture card download and install several other apps and
I'm all set!! Cool....

Oh and I almost forgot this all comes AFTER I get Linux running and have
already REPLACED all the other Windows apps that have worked fine for
decades..yeah..I see it all now..so straightforward, easy and such a
happy time it will be. Just replace everything in order to gain what..?
Identical (or so you say) Linux functionality. Gee Dr Linux that just
puts me right where I was before..doing my day-to-day computing .

Where's the pay-off...don't cry about Bill Gates and fighting the good
fight against his tyrannical kingdom. He is my hero. You are my buffoon
From: Greg Russell on
In news:vcmbp59s7r1l4hvirpdlf98agndjjklpt2(a)4ax.com,
Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com> typed:

> Gee thank you!! Sounds simple enough to me!

I sincerely doubt it ... you seem the type who isn't happy unless you're
unhappy.

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Bad Boy Charlie:
>If I dump Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) how do I replace Windows Media
>Center functionality (that my family truly enjoys) from within any Linux
>distro? Hmm? Huh? Well..c'mon!! There isn't anything remotely
>comparable in function, look and feel.

Actually there is: a freebie called MythTV.

Some people use it with no problems.

Having said that, I devoted at least 3 months of my life to
trying to make it work reliably and, in the end, went over to a
Windows-based product called SageTV - which worked right out of
the box and as continued to work ever since.
--
PeteCresswell