From: lkc on
Hi,
the receiver minimum sensitivity level Rss is given as (in IEEE 802.16e):
Rss=-114+ SNRrx - 10log(R) + 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft) + ImpLoss + NF
where
SNRrx is the receiver SNR
R is the repetition factor
Fs is the sampling frequency
ImpLoss is the implementation loss
NF is the receiver noise figure
Nused is the number of used carriers (include data, pilots and dc
carriers)
Nfft is the number of FFT points.

From the equation, with lesser number of used carriers, Rss improves due
to the factor: 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft), or due to the lower bandwidth
used. However, does SNRrx improve too with lesser number of carriers used?
From my simulation, with Nfft =128, Nused=100, there is an SNR improvement
of about 1dB (corresponding to 10*log10(128/100)=1.07dB) as compared to the
case where all 128 subcarriers are used. Is my simulation correct?

That is, does Rss improve due to 2 factors when lesser number of carriers
are used? (1) Due to the SNRrx and (2) Due to lower bandwidth

Regards,
lkc

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 11/16/2009 9:55 AM, lkc wrote:
> Hi,
> the receiver minimum sensitivity level Rss is given as (in IEEE 802.16e):
> Rss=-114+ SNRrx - 10log(R) + 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft) + ImpLoss + NF
> where
> SNRrx is the receiver SNR
> R is the repetition factor
> Fs is the sampling frequency
> ImpLoss is the implementation loss
> NF is the receiver noise figure
> Nused is the number of used carriers (include data, pilots and dc
> carriers)
> Nfft is the number of FFT points.
>
> From the equation, with lesser number of used carriers, Rss improves due
> to the factor: 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft), or due to the lower bandwidth
> used. However, does SNRrx improve too with lesser number of carriers used?
> From my simulation, with Nfft =128, Nused=100, there is an SNR improvement
> of about 1dB (corresponding to 10*log10(128/100)=1.07dB) as compared to the
> case where all 128 subcarriers are used. Is my simulation correct?
>
> That is, does Rss improve due to 2 factors when lesser number of carriers
> are used? (1) Due to the SNRrx and (2) Due to lower bandwidth
>

> Regards,
> lkc

If the transmit power is held constant then, yes, the Rx SNR for a given
channel will improve as the occupied bandwidth decreases due to power
concentration.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: lkc on
>On 11/16/2009 9:55 AM, lkc wrote:
>> Hi,
>> the receiver minimum sensitivity level Rss is given as (in IEEE
802.16e):
>> Rss=-114+ SNRrx - 10log(R) + 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft) + ImpLoss + NF
>> where
>> SNRrx is the receiver SNR
>> R is the repetition factor
>> Fs is the sampling frequency
>> ImpLoss is the implementation loss
>> NF is the receiver noise figure
>> Nused is the number of used carriers (include data, pilots and dc
>> carriers)
>> Nfft is the number of FFT points.
>>
>> From the equation, with lesser number of used carriers, Rss improves
due
>> to the factor: 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft), or due to the lower
bandwidth
>> used. However, does SNRrx improve too with lesser number of carriers
used?
>> From my simulation, with Nfft =128, Nused=100, there is an SNR
improvement
>> of about 1dB (corresponding to 10*log10(128/100)=1.07dB) as compared to
the
>> case where all 128 subcarriers are used. Is my simulation correct?
>>
>> That is, does Rss improve due to 2 factors when lesser number of
carriers
>> are used? (1) Due to the SNRrx and (2) Due to lower bandwidth
>>

>> Regards,
>> lkc
>>

>If the transmit power is held constant then, yes, the Rx SNR for a given

>channel will improve as the occupied bandwidth decreases due to power
>concentration.
>
>--
>Eric Jacobsen
>Minister of Algorithms
>Abineau Communications
>http://www.abineau.com

Then wouldn't it be better to always use lesser subcarriers as this will
bring about better receiver sensitivity, some sort of double "advantage",
with both the noise floor/thermal noise and the snr smaller? What is the
catch here?

Say we were to compare the performance of 2 systems with similar data
rate. Should the receiver sensitivity comparison (holding transmit power
same for both, simulation in snr) be independent of the BER comparison
(holding energy per data bit at the receiver to be the same, simulation in
Eb/No)? 2 different aspects?

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 11/17/2009 6:35 PM, lkc wrote:
>> On 11/16/2009 9:55 AM, lkc wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> the receiver minimum sensitivity level Rss is given as (in IEEE
> 802.16e):
>>> Rss=-114+ SNRrx - 10log(R) + 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft) + ImpLoss + NF
>>> where
>>> SNRrx is the receiver SNR
>>> R is the repetition factor
>>> Fs is the sampling frequency
>>> ImpLoss is the implementation loss
>>> NF is the receiver noise figure
>>> Nused is the number of used carriers (include data, pilots and dc
>>> carriers)
>>> Nfft is the number of FFT points.
>>>
>>> From the equation, with lesser number of used carriers, Rss improves
> due
>>> to the factor: 10log( Fs x Nused / Nfft), or due to the lower
> bandwidth
>>> used. However, does SNRrx improve too with lesser number of carriers
> used?
>>> From my simulation, with Nfft =128, Nused=100, there is an SNR
> improvement
>>> of about 1dB (corresponding to 10*log10(128/100)=1.07dB) as compared to
> the
>>> case where all 128 subcarriers are used. Is my simulation correct?
>>>
>>> That is, does Rss improve due to 2 factors when lesser number of
> carriers
>>> are used? (1) Due to the SNRrx and (2) Due to lower bandwidth
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> lkc
>>>
>> If the transmit power is held constant then, yes, the Rx SNR for a given
>
>> channel will improve as the occupied bandwidth decreases due to power
>> concentration.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Jacobsen
>> Minister of Algorithms
>> Abineau Communications
>> http://www.abineau.com
>>

> Then wouldn't it be better to always use lesser subcarriers as this will
> bring about better receiver sensitivity, some sort of double "advantage",
> with both the noise floor/thermal noise and the snr smaller? What is the
> catch here?
>
> Say we were to compare the performance of 2 systems with similar data
> rate. Should the receiver sensitivity comparison (holding transmit power
> same for both, simulation in snr) be independent of the BER comparison
> (holding energy per data bit at the receiver to be the same, simulation in
> Eb/No)? 2 different aspects?

Reducing the bandwidth reduces the amount of data that can be carried.
Examine the capacity formula closely, and it becomes apparent that it is
advantageous to occupy as much bandwidth as possible from an ultimate
capacity perspective.

It is always possible, however, to trade rate for SNR (it is often said
as "trading rate for range"). This is what reducing the bandwidth does
if the Tx power is kept the same; the SNR goes up, but the transmission
rate goes down.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms