From: Daniel Brown on
Also known as off-topic posts. We're all guilty of them, but has
anyone recently noticed that there is a significant number (about 35%
of all traffic) that is off-topic? There have been questions on
databases, JavaScript, WordPress, Apache directives, and more.... none
of which were even related to PHP. Unfortunately, this is how
dilution occurs, which often causes communities to dwindle into a
defunct or otherwise low-quality state. As those of you who have been
around for at least a couple of years know, we have continued to
thrive here because we're not strict on the topics of discussion, and
frequently [d]evolve into off-topic banter (particularly on Fridays,
as it used to be). However, have you noticed the influx of extremely
low-quality and/or low-class posts to the list? Couple that with the
ominous silence from the formerly-frequent contributors of
high-quality material, code examples, and community assistance. It is
not a coincidence.

This is an open list, and we don't moderate or censor any of the
discussions, but before it gets out of hand, I'd like to suggest a
moratorium on all off-topic posts through the end of this month ---
with the exception, again, of Fridays. Which would mean that those in
agreement would participate in the hiatus by not only not posting
off-topic threads, but also not replying to those that are off the
general topic. This isn't to say that threads can't still eventually
decay into a friendly discussion, as has always been welcome, but that
it shouldn't be the intent of a thread to seek assistance on topics
unrelated to PHP and PHP programming in general.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
UNADVERTISED DEDICATED SERVER SPECIALS
From: "Arno Kuhl" on
[...]

It's Friday so I suppose I can respond... ;)

particularly active, focused, mature, and a tremendously helpful resource,
even just following issues others raise and resolve. And Daniel, your own
gentle prods to keep things on track I think sets some of the professional
tone of the list. However, the subject of the list can be broad and fuzzy
and can lead to some semi off-topic posts like Apache directives that affect
PHP apps, JavaScript/Ajax interaction with PHP code, open-source PHP apps,
etc. And even some non-PHP issues that most PHP developers will deal with at
some time or another. Of course there are degrees of just how far off-topic
one can go, but the fact that you can tap into a huge resource of skills and
experience to find answers that can be difficult to find elsewhere is
obviously very tempting. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds some of the
almost always within the broad realm of PHP-related web development (though
I agree low-quality posts are useless to everyone whether on-topic or not).
At the same time I can see it's a difficult balancing act to cater for
everyone from total beginners to highly skilled professionals and still keep
everyone on board, especially if some of the more experienced and busy users
feel they're being flooded with hundreds of mostly irrelevant posts (like
this one) every day. But I also think those same users have the skills and
filters to quickly scan and find the posts that are
useful/interesting/relevant. Personally I think this list is great, even
with some of the off-topic discussion. And your own involvement has always
been very professional, and of course very focused, thanks.

Cheers
Arno

From: Paul M Foster on
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:59:49AM +0200, Arno Kuhl wrote:

> And Daniel, your own
> gentle prods to keep things on track I think sets some of the professional
> tone of the list.

This is very true. I've administered various lists for almost ten years,
and I know for a fact that the list administrator plays a tremendous
role in the tone of a list.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
From: Jason Pruim on

On Jul 16, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:59:49AM +0200, Arno Kuhl wrote:
>
>> And Daniel, your own
>> gentle prods to keep things on track I think sets some of the
>> professional
>> tone of the list.
>
> This is very true. I've administered various lists for almost ten
> years,
> and I know for a fact that the list administrator plays a tremendous
> role in the tone of a list.

So... By replying to this thread... Are we helping the problem or
making it worse by adding to the off topic posts? :P

Happy Friday yall! :)
From: Shreyas Agasthya on
I completely agree with Dan's voice. I hear the tone. I am sure most of us
here would spend a lot of time here to help each other out. Why not spend
time on genuine PHP issues?

Outside the scope of the discussion :

Also, once they implement and get things working, I would like to request
all the members to let us know the code or even the pseudo-code to let us
know how they made it work. We can collect those snippets and also ask
not repeated questions.

Regards,
Shreyas

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jason Pruim <lists(a)pruimphotography.com>wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:59:49AM +0200, Arno Kuhl wrote:
>>
>> And Daniel, your own
>>> gentle prods to keep things on track I think sets some of the
>>> professional
>>> tone of the list.
>>>

>> This is very true. I've administered various lists for almost ten years,
>> and I know for a fact that the list administrator plays a tremendous
>> role in the tone of a list.
>>

> So... By replying to this thread... Are we helping the problem or making it
> worse by adding to the off topic posts? :P
>
> Happy Friday yall! :)

Regards,
Shreyas Agasthya