From: Globemaker on
Dear sci.crypt,
Please recommend where I can download an AES program with the
following attributes:
1 The program should allow me to enter the key, not a passphrase.
2 It should be free
3 For Windows XP
4 The ciphertext must have the same number of bytes as the plaintext
that is padded to 128 bit blocks
5 The ciphertext must succeed in one test vector from NIST for
Electronic Code Book mode
KEY = 00000000000000000000000000000000
PLAINTEXT = 80000000000000000000000000000000
CIPHERTEXT expected = 3ad78e726c1ec02b7ebfe92b23d9ec34

I have tried 5 programs and they all failed to meet these goals. Are
these goals too strict?

From: Kristian Gj�steen on
Globemaker <alanfolmsbee(a)cabanova.com> wrote:
>4 The ciphertext must have the same number of bytes as the plaintext
>that is padded to 128 bit blocks
>5 The ciphertext must succeed in one test vector from NIST for
>Electronic Code Book mode [...]
>
>I have tried 5 programs and they all failed to meet these goals. Are
>these goals too strict?

ECB mode is not secure, so you are asking for an insecure solution.

Use some standard solution like gnupg if you cannot on your own specify
security.

--
kg
From: Bruce Stephens on
Kristian Gjøsteen <kristiag+news(a)math.ntnu.no> writes:

> Globemaker <alanfolmsbee(a)cabanova.com> wrote:
>>4 The ciphertext must have the same number of bytes as the plaintext
>>that is padded to 128 bit blocks
>>5 The ciphertext must succeed in one test vector from NIST for
>>Electronic Code Book mode [...]
>>
>>I have tried 5 programs and they all failed to meet these goals. Are
>>these goals too strict?
>
> ECB mode is not secure, so you are asking for an insecure solution.

IIUC the request was for a program that would permit ECB in order to
verify against a test vector. That seems a reasonable request, even if
you don't want to use ECB.
From: Maaartin on
On Jul 5, 8:19 pm, Bruce Stephens <bruce+use...(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> Kristian Gjøsteen <kristiag+n...(a)math.ntnu.no> writes:
> > ECB mode is not secure, so you are asking for an insecure solution.
>
> IIUC the request was for a program that would permit ECB in order to
> verify against a test vector.  That seems a reasonable request, even if
> you don't want to use ECB.

Isn't ECB for the first block the same as CBC with IV=0? So you need
no ECB in order to verify the test vector.
From: David Eather on
On 6/07/2010 4:19 AM, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Kristian Gjøsteen<kristiag+news(a)math.ntnu.no> writes:
>
>> Globemaker<alanfolmsbee(a)cabanova.com> wrote:
>>> 4 The ciphertext must have the same number of bytes as the plaintext
>>> that is padded to 128 bit blocks
>>> 5 The ciphertext must succeed in one test vector from NIST for
>>> Electronic Code Book mode [...]
>>>
>>> I have tried 5 programs and they all failed to meet these goals. Are
>>> these goals too strict?
>>
>> ECB mode is not secure, so you are asking for an insecure solution.
>
> IIUC the request was for a program that would permit ECB in order to
> verify against a test vector. That seems a reasonable request, even if
> you don't want to use ECB.

No he wants to use it in his blog where he specifies use of the all zero key